Windows Warning Alert 877.593.4204.

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I just received a pop up that said Windows Warning Alert 877.593.4204. Turn off computer and ran a scan. Do I need to do anything else?
Photo of Mickey

• 70 Points

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Kelvin Ranas

Kelvin Ranas, Employee

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mickey,

This Kelvin from Trend Micro Consumer Escalations Team. 

I believe what you've just encounter was a Technical Support Scam Message. You may encounter this threat when clicking on advertisements or via pop-up ads on infected websites. It is a fake message that displays errors like "You've got a virus in your computer". 

You can try to reset the browser to disable some extensions that might have caused it. But if it comes back, there might be a chance that your browser or your internet connection could have been infected. In case that happens, you may contact our support line for assistance. Should you have further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Employee

• 4,226 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hello Mickey and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for letting us know about this.

It's good to know that you did not call the number from the alert that popped up on your computer. The message that you saw is fake and is only trying to scare you. Basically, what you did is already enough since you did not let anyone get into your computer. The most important thing in this kind of scenario is getting rid of the message. Or if possible, it will be better if you can reach out to us so we can gather information to prevent this from happening again.

This type of technical support scam is very rampant nowadays. The message itself does not have the capability to harm your computer unless you will call the number indicated on the message and let someone have access to your computer.

If ever that this will happen again, please do not ever call the number. Instead, you may reach us through phone or chat support. You may click here for our contact information.

Note: There are several legitimate third party technical support organizations that provide PC services such as malware remediation and/or cleanup. However, users who choose to use their services are advised to research about these companies ahead of time. Most legitimate services will clearly state that they are a third party technical support provider, and any claims of official representation or partnership with a vendor should be checked and/or validated directly with the vendor themselves.

I hope this answers your question!

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Trend Micro Home Users Community