Windows Warning Alert ....call 877.593.4204.

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
I just received a pop up that said Windows Warning Alert ....call 877.593.4204. Turn off computer and ran a scan. Do I need to do anything else?
Photo of Mickey

Mickey

• 70 Points

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Kelvin Ranas

Kelvin Ranas, Employee

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mickey,

This Kelvin from Trend Micro Consumer Escalations Team. 

I believe what you've just encounter was a Technical Support Scam Message. You may encounter this threat when clicking on advertisements or via pop-up ads on infected websites. It is a fake message that displays errors like "You've got a virus in your computer". 

You can try to reset the browser to disable some extensions that might have caused it. But if it comes back, there might be a chance that your browser or your internet connection could have been infected. In case that happens, you may contact our support line for assistance. Should you have further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Kelvin
Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 9,376 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Mickey and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for letting us know about this.

It's good to know that you did not call the number from the alert that popped up on your computer. The message that you saw is fake and is only trying to scare you. Basically, what you did is already enough since you did not let anyone get into your computer. The most important thing in this kind of scenario is getting rid of the message. Or if possible, it will be better if you can reach out to us so we can gather information to prevent this from happening again.

This type of technical support scam is very rampant nowadays. The message itself does not have the capability to harm your computer unless you will call the number indicated on the message and let someone have access to your computer.

If ever that this will happen again, please do not ever call the number. Instead, you may reach us through phone or chat support. You may click here for our contact information.

Note: There are several legitimate third party technical support organizations that provide PC services such as malware remediation and/or cleanup. However, users who choose to use their services are advised to research about these companies ahead of time. Most legitimate services will clearly state that they are a third party technical support provider, and any claims of official representation or partnership with a vendor should be checked and/or validated directly with the vendor themselves.

I hope this answers your question!

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of Pris IL humbrdr

Pris IL humbrdr

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just got this huge red screen after visiting an Xfinity/Comcast page on Facebook except the phone number is different (877 527 9459) and it was caught by Trend Micro (Thank You!)
Whomever is doing this is trying to make folks believe there is something wrong with their computer and for a subscription (not free but costly) they will "show" you, yeah right, and fix it. How do I know this? They caught me off guard one evening. I was again on the same Facebook page.
I tried to report this to Facebook but they would not accept the scammer's name "Facebook User".
Photo of TM_Phebs

TM_Phebs, Employee

• 2,486 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Priscilla (Pris IL humbrdr)

Will it be okay if you can provide us their Facebook page, we'll have it further checked in our end. Thank you!

Regards
Photo of Pris IL humbrdr

Pris IL humbrdr

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This happened while I was on an Xfinity/Comcast page. I will go back there and get the link. Guess I goofed as there are a number of pages for both but this is the one that showed I had liked it: https://www.facebook.com/Xfinity/  
I can try the others to see if it happens again if you like, Anything that helps.
Photo of TM_Ian

TM_Ian, Employee

• 5,222 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Pris IL humbrdr,

Thank you for this information. In case you encounter the same issue in the future, please contact our Support Team immediately so they can assist you and gather information about these pop-ups. You may access our hotline at this link:

Contact Trend Micro Technical Support

Have a great day!

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of TM_RJ

TM_RJ, Employee

• 62 Points
Hi Priscilla!

Thank you for letting us know your experience.

You are right. These kind of pop ups are just trying to scare people and trick you into thinking that your computer is compromised with some sort of a virus. What's important is that do not call the number flashed on the screen and do not believe the fake message. Instead, you may reach us through our support hotline for assistance.

Have wonderful and safe internet browsing!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.