Why the hell is this program telling me that my Serial number is invalid again when I renewed this service 7/4/2019??

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Solved
How am I suppose to know that my computer is protected when this keeps popping up????  I've never in the many years that I've had this service had a problem until now??? Fix it!!!
Photo of dorrainerush

dorrainerush

• 70 Points

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of TM_Pia

TM_Pia, Employee

• 1,932 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi dorrainerush,

This has been reported as an issue but now has been resolved. You would just have to reactivate your subscription from your main console by typing in your serial number. After doing so, you should not seethe error message anymore.

Let me know how it goes.

~Pia
Photo of barb

barb

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am still having the same problem .. please see my comment below.  Thank you.
Photo of barb

barb

I am still having the same issue, which started a few days ago.  It happened again a couple of minutes ago (just after 9 a.m. Central Time on July 7th).  I get a popup saying that the protection is disabled, a problem has temporarily interrupted my protection, and that I should restart my computer.  Or, I'll get a popup saying that my serial number is invalid.  With that popup, I'll also need to restart my computer.  It appears that this is happening whenever my Antivirus+ protection is checking updates or trying to update. 
Photo of TM_Iya

TM_Iya, Employee

• 3,166 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi barb,

Can you try to perform a stop and start all components via Diagnostic Toolkit? 

To do that, you may follow these steps below:
  1. Open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit. Do the following:
    • For Windows 10:
      1. Click Start > All Apps > Trend Micro Security > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
    • For Windows 8.1:
      1. On your keyboard, press the Windows Windows Key + C to open Charms bar.
      2. Click Search.
      3. On the Search box, type "Trend".
      4. Click Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
    • For Windows 7:
      1. Go to Start > All Programs > Trend Micro Security > More Tools and Help > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit
  2. Click Yes when the User Account Control window appears.
  3. Click the (C) Uninstall tab.
  4. From the Uninstall tab, click 5. Stop all Components and then after 5-10 seconds, click the 4. Start all Components.
  5. Close the Diagnostic toolkit after. 
  6. Open your Trend Micro program or the main console. Look for the human shadow icon beside the question mark icon and click it.
  7. Press the "About the Software".
  8. Check if the updates will take for an hour or less.
Let me know how it goes. Hope this helps.

~Iya
Photo of barb

barb

Lya, I did all that you described, and as soon as I clicked About the Software, the "Protection Disabled" popup appeared.  I've uploaded a screenshot.  Obviously, there still is a major problem.  Thank you.
Photo of TM_Iya

TM_Iya, Employee

Hi barb,

Try to clear your temporary profile, to do this here's how:

1. On your keyboard, press Windows key plus letter R.
2. When the Run command window appears, enter this command: %temp% and click OK.
3. Once the temporary files folder is open, select all the files inside of it and delete it.

After that try to open your Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit again and try to perform the following:

1. Click the (C) Uninstall tab.
2. From the Uninstall tab, click 5. Stop all Components and then select button 2. Delete Now and 3. Delete Now
3. Then press button 4. Start all Components
4. Restart your computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Awaiting your response.

~Iya
Photo of barb

barb

Lya, I again did as you described and then restarted my computer.  I opened the console and did an updates request.  It stated that I had the most current updates .. and no popup appeared ... yay!   I'm hoping this did the trick.  Obviously, if the popup appears again, I will submit a follow-up comment, but it seems to be looking good.  Thank you!! 
Photo of barb

barb

Unfortunately, there still is a problem.  I just opened the console, selected About the Software, it checked for updates, and then the "Protection Disabled" popup appeared and told me to restart.
Photo of TM_Iya

TM_Iya, Employee

Hi barb,

If that's the case, I would suggest you reinstall your Trend Micro program and do the following:

Step 1. Uninstall the program using the Diagnostic Toolkit:

Uninstalling Trend Micro Security software on your WindowsTM PC

Step 2. Using the Trend Micro Remnant File Remover Tool:

Trend Micro Remnant File Remover Tool

3. Install your Trend Micro program:

Installing Antivirus+ Security

Let me know how it goes.

~Iya
Photo of barb

barb

Lya, I have uninstalled and reinstalled my Antivirus+.  I then checked for updates, and an update was downloaded.  My computer needed to be restarted to complete the installation, which I did.  When I opened the console, selected About the Program, and checked for updates, it stated that all components are up-to-date.  No popup.  At this point, I will just wait and see what happens.  Hopefully, nothing!  Thank you for your prompt replies, and as I said, hopefully, all now is back to normal.
Photo of TM_Kim

TM_Kim, Employee

• 2,142 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi barb,

Glad to know that everything's working now. In case you need more help, please let us know.

- Kim
(Edited)
Photo of David Monroe

David Monroe

• 60 Points

I have also had this happen to both of my systems twice in the last few weeks.  Although re-entering the Serial number appears to resolve it, and I have 3 weeks left on my current subscription, this is making me rethink my antivirus choice as it appears to be a repetitive issue without much explanation?
Photo of TM_Kim

TM_Kim, Employee

• 910 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi David Monroe.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused on your computer protection. Due to a recent system enhancement we commenced, some users may have been impacted with this event. Rest assured, the issue has been fixed and you only need to refresh your Trend Micro Security program. In case you still encounter the same problem, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. 

- Kim
(Edited)
Photo of sdmccoy

sdmccoy

• 60 Points
I see messages here saying that the issue has been fixed as of two days ago, but I have to say . . . no, it hasn't.  The same problem --  the program being disabled and security interrupted, then giving the message that the serial number is invalid (though it isn't due for renewal until March 2020) -- has happened on two of our covered computers, one this morning and one at about 10pm EST tonight (July 9). 

We re-entered the serial number, and after a delay, the protection seems back on now -- but after what I'm reading, I am concerned that more problems are to come.

Also . . . it would really help with public relations if, when you know there's a problem like this, you email and let subscribers know that they may experience a problem, with directions on what to do.
Photo of TM_Kim

TM_Kim, Employee

• 2,142 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Sorry to hear about your experience, sdmccoy.

To help you with this concern, we have released an announcement (Serial Number Invalid Issue) regarding this issue. Rest assured your concern has been already taken care of.

In case you need further assistance, kindly let us know on this thread. 

- Kim

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.