Why a Master Password when the old ones still work?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
I set up Trend Micro's Password Mgr with its Master Password, but then to test it I went to a site that required my old PW and I was still able to sign in with my old PW.  So, why bother with your Master PW program?
Photo of klught

klught

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • deceived.

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 22,890 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi klught

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where voluntry to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!
Normal i think if you did not change your password for that site!!!

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of klught

klught

Thanks, but my question was: 
Why bother using Trend Micro's Password Manager if I can still use the old PW?  i.e., if I can go to a site that requires my old PW, and use it (or any PW I have set up), then that means ANYONE can.  This seems to render using Password Mgr a moot point.  
Having said that, I'm open to hearing if I'm missing something about this.
Photo of TM_Ian

TM_Ian, Employee

• 5,222 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi @klught and welcome to the community!

The Master Password is the password you use to access all the saved passwords on your Trend Micro Password Manager program. If you have saved an old password to your Password Manager that is still working on a specific website, the program will automatically fill out the username and password for that website based on the credentials you saved on the program.

For instance, you saved a password on your Password Manager account on your gmail account. When you visit the Gmail website to login to your Gmail account, the Password Manager will prompt if you would like to sign in using Password Manager. If you agree, you will be asked to login to the program using the Master Password and once logged in, the Password Manager will automatically supply the email address and password for your Gmail account on the Gmail website.

The Password Manager works as a password management program, it does not automatically update all the passwords you saved on the program unless you manually update each password using the Password Generator. 

For more information about how Password Manager works, you may visit the link below:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Password Manager

We hope these information help. Let us know if there's any clarifications you need.

Thank you and have a great day! :)
Photo of klught

klught

Hi guys... Thanks, again, for responding.

Re: "If you have saved an old password to your Password Manager that is still working on a specific website, the program will automatically fill out the username and password for that website based on the credentials you saved on the program."
... That's true, but if I can still CHOOSE to enter my old PW, or if someone else gets hold of my old PWs and enters it, then using Password Manager seems to be a moot point.  

Re: "For instance, you saved a password on your Password Manager account on your gmail account. When you visit the Gmail website to login to your Gmail account, the Password Manager will prompt if you would like to sign in using Password Manager."
... Again, that's MY whole point.  If I can CHOOSE to use or not to use, then so can someone else, and again I must say that Password Mgr seems to be a moot point.

I thought Password Mgr meant neither I nor anyone else could use the old PWs and that ONLY the Master Password would work.  The sense I'm getting here is that that's not the case, and if that's not the case, then why bother?

Again, I could be missing something here, so further explanations are certainly acceptable.

The graphic submitted below is an example of why I was led to believe the one all-inclusive Master PW would cover all other passwords.  The graphic certainly makes it look like I could only enter the Master PW and couldn't enter any of the old ones.

Thanks again!

P.S.  By the by, I love the colors for your site!
(Edited)
Photo of TM_Malik

TM_Malik

• 9,374 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Welcome to the Home Users Community, klught!

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Password Manager program can be used to save and encrypt passcards/login credentials (composed of the website, username, and password). You can secure these passcards by setting up a Master Password that's why the Master Password does not actually affect the login credentials you managed to save on Password Manager Program but it helps you protect those information.

The Password Manager program can be installed across all supported devices and the information will be saved accordingly per Trend Micro account.

Feel free to check out the link below for more details:

Password Manager Product Page

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards :)
Photo of klught

klught

Thanks TM_Malik...
I don't deny I could be missing something here.  I'll take a look at the Password Manager Product Page.
Photo of TM_Malik

TM_Malik

• 9,374 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thank you, klught! Please don't hesitate to reach out when you need assistance. :)