while trying to install my Trend Maximum Security on 13/02/2019 on your web page was compromised by PCHELPCREW

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
while trying to install my Trend Maximum Security on 13/02/2019 on your web page I was phished to a trouble shoot no.1800043620 which later I discovered was a third party called PCHELPCREW and lost $199.99 on my credit card !!!! the process was captured on my iphone camera!!!
Photo of lasergoh

lasergoh

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • costly lesson

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of DENNIS W HOWES

DENNIS W HOWES

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am not too impressed with Trend Micro.  Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  I had similar incident and Credit Card erased it from my account.  I called them right away. Be sure to do that.  Several real good Phisherman out there.  Best of luck.
Photo of TM_Iya

TM_Iya, Employee

• 3,166 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi all,

We're sorry to hear of your experience.

You have experienced a Tech Support Scam. 

You may try to dispute the amount charged on your account through your bank. If possible, can you try to send the exact URL link of the website you last visited before this happened? May I know the last activity you did when this happened?

Also, if you can provide the exact number you see when this happened for me to file this to our legal department because they are working on shutting down these scam numbers and this info will assist us in this process.

Should you have other concerns, feel free to contact us. 

~Iya
(Edited)
Photo of lasergoh

lasergoh

Can you send me a private email link ?
Photo of TM_Kree

TM_Kree, Official Rep

• 2,202 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello lasergoh,

I will help you sort things out. If you can provide the link for the PCHELPCREW and their phone number I'm gonna report it right away. I send you an email, hope to hear from you soon.

Regards, 
Kree
Photo of lasergoh

lasergoh

Hi Kree
The incidence occurred around 3:42pm on 13/02/2019

While locking on to trendmicro.com/downloadme and searching for the software

the no. 1800 033 103 popped up for support and hence I rang the No and was answered by a 

person named Robert ( later discovered his name was Robert Bitz ) claiming he would assist me to install the TrendMicro Software. He instructed me to pressed window tab +r so he could analyse my PC. He henced took over my PC and quoting my IP address was hacked and require 1hr + to go through my PC and the cost was $199.99 . Being not IT literate I gave him permission to go through the process and handed over my credit card details for payment.

At 3:43pm he requested my Trend User Name ie E-mail address & name and Trend activation code.

and address ( I gave him my PO Box No )

at 4:16pm: Remote Control by Robert Stopped

at 4:16pm: Support session established with Sam Anderson........

at 5:26pm Sam Anderson is installing the Calling Card...installation successful

at 5:26pm I received a call from Robert from phone no. 02 8355 7870 informing the job was completed and my Trend Software was installed and can re-start my PC

upon re-started my PC not that my Trend Security not installed instead a product not familiar to me 
called "defencebyte" was installed .

I subsequently managed to removed "defencebyte" and  installed the Trend Security system 

So that was the event of that afternoon 

Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 9,366 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi lasergoh

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. The number that popped up is not our support hotline, we also do not charge for the complimentary service that we offer. I have passed this on to our dedicated team who's working on this issue. In the meantime, follow these steps below to ensure that your computer is threat-free: 
  1. Check the installed programs and uninstall unfamiliar ones. 
  2. Check your browser extensions and remove suspicious and unfamiliar ones. 
  3. Perform a full scan using the Trend Micro program. 
Should you need assistance, you may call our support team here: 

Australia: 1300 305 289
New Zealand: 0-800-507-901
Support Hours: Mon to Fri 7AM - 7PM (Sydney Time)

^X
Photo of claudiu_botezatu

claudiu_botezatu

• 2,898 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
".... and require 1hr + to go through my PC and the cost was $199.99 . Being not IT literate I gave him permission to go through the process and handed over my credit card details for payment..."

You do not have to be "IT literate", you need to have basic common sense.

My advice: burn the PC and never use one again
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Alum

• 9,366 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
off topic

Please reference the new conversation here: Response to a Tech Support Scam Topic

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.