Viruses still getting through.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
My computer, a Windows 10, Dell, can't remember the model, with the paid version of Trend Micro. I have been using this computer for about a year now, and I've been happy so far. But...

I have been receiving random files popping up on my laptop with names like "LetsSee!" and this is making me really anxious. I have disabled all random startup files which I have not downloaded, and it is still happening!

At this point I'm really scared, so what do I do?

Please respond quickly, because I can't take much more of these panic attacks that all the money spent on this PC is wasted!

Please help.
Photo of Harry

Harry

• 364 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • insanely anxious

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of TM_Pia

TM_Pia, Employee

• 2,536 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi silversmashernitro,

Is this a pop-up notification or a window with the name 'Let'sSee!'? This might be considered a Potentially Unwanted Application that has been installed on your computer. Have you tried checking your computer's programs and features and uninstalling this? Here's a support page to help you to uninstall these kinds of application: 

Uninstalling Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA)

Awaiting your response.

~Pia
Photo of Harry

Harry

It is a window with the Title “YouTube Downloader”, but called “LetsSee!”. Other stuff is still coming through, like “unpersuasive.exe” in startup. Sorry for late reply, but now I have removed “LetsSee!” and it is gone, but it’s still got some weird stuff.
Photo of TM_Kim

TM_Kim, Employee

• 3,012 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Sorry to hear about your experience, silversmashernitro.

Can you elaborate on the other weird stuff happening on your computer? Can you see if there's a Trend Micro detection? A screenshot will be much appreciated.

For the meantime, you may do these troubleshooting steps:

1. Check the list of your applications again. If you can see an unfamiliar program, please uninstall it because it might be one of the causes why this is happening on your computer.

2. Check and remove browser extensions and toolbar from all your web browsers. Here's how to do it: 
          Removing unnecessary and unwanted toolbars in your web browsers

3. Regarding this unpersuasive.exe on your startup, please check its file location and to what application/program it is under. If that is from one of the unfamiliar applications, please disable the file. To do that, please follow these steps:
           a. Right-click unpersuasive.exe then click Open file location.
           b. If that file is under those unfamiliar applications, go back to Task Manager then right-click and click Disable.

Let us know how it goes.

- Kim
Photo of Harry

Harry

I’ll post a picture soon, I have disabled “unpersuasive”, which has been detected, but won’t budge. “LetsSee!”has been removed completely and will not show up, the rest are just adware which didn’t get detected, but I have also completely removed from my device. The photo will be posted. (Just saying, most of my experiences with Trend Micro has been great! This is just a one time thing, I think)
Photo of Harry

Harry

Also, “unpersuasive.exe” opens whenever I open chrome. I now use Opera, and chrome is deleted.
Photo of TM_Kim

TM_Kim, Employee

• 3,012 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your response, silversmashernitro.

Since you have uninstalled Google Chrome already, whatever configurations that were made to it have been removed as well. You can now reinstall Google Chrome and check if the problem will reoccur. Here's where you can get the installer: Google Chrome Installer.

If the issue persists, please follow the instructions on this link that will help you reset the settings of your browser: 
Resetting your web browser for performance and website redirection issues.

Make sure that your Trend Micro Toolbar on your Google Chrome is enabled. It provides additional security like checking whether a link or website is either Safe, Suspicious or Dangerous before you access it. Here's where you can get the installer: 
Enabling the Trend Micro Toolbar in Google Chrome.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more help.

- Kim
Photo of Harry

Harry

Thank you, I will try this in a moment.
Photo of TM_Cha

TM_Cha, Employee

• 2,014 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
You're welcome, silversmashernitro!

Let us know how it goes.

~Cha
Photo of Harry

Harry

Took long to respond because didn’t go on my laptop for a while, it is working well! Thank you, all viruses are gone!
(Edited)
Photo of TM_Kree

TM_Kree, Official Rep

• 2,322 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
That's great to hear, Harry

You can always message us on all Trend Micro Channels if you need help in the future.

^Kree

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.