Valid Emails going to Spam folder even though "I told TM that it was "not spam" - using Outlook 2010

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
About 3 or 4 months ago, seems that legit emails are going to the spam folder. I setup rules in Outlook 2010 to send them to the inbox, but to no avail. I then realized there is a "not spam" trend micro extension that I can run on each email that strips the email of the "unsafe content" line that was attached to the title of the email and TM gets an email stating it wasn't spam. What gives? My ISP is not tagging the email as spam, already checked. So, given the add on from TM to mark it "not spam", I'm down to it being TM as the culprit. Using an HP desktop, WIN 8.1, Outlook 2010 and TM Titanium.
Photo of john

john

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • pissed that TM won't stop automatically assigning legit emails as spam

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of TM_Kiko

TM_Kiko, Employee

• 10,442 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello john ! Welcome to the community!

We understand that you are having troubles with our Trend Micro Antispam Toolbar. Allow me to help you with this.

Mostly, the behavior of malicious emails (sent by bots, spammers) is that it contains a certain pattern  from the header of the message up to the footer. Our program detects this behavior and tries to do its job. We understand that you might be experiencing several false detection due to this criteria. We actually have a hotfix for this problem and is ready to be downloaded and installed. See this link for the details.

Receiving “Trend Micro Security protected you from a risky message” email notification from Trend Micro

For the mails that you have identified as not spam, once you have tagged them through the tool, our team from Email Reputation services will be examining it first then they will upload a respective pattern once proven that the subjected message/sender is safe/clean.

I hope this helps and let me know if I have missed a detail so I can continue answering your inquiries.

All the best,

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of john

john

Hi Kiko: I did as you asked, downloaded and updated the software. This did not fix the problem. The settings on TM are set at "low" to not stop alleged Spam on my end.

As I said, I checked with my ISP to ensure that it isn't them.

I know it isn't the ISP, because the email will come to my inbox correctly ( 5 received - 5 show in the inbox), but after the emails have arrived, there is a second review of the emails (by TM) and suddenly two or three go to the spam folder. These are two or three of the 5 that have just been received. So, again, I know it is you guys.

After the fix was installed, restarted, and hours went by, and I made multiple checks of email, where email was downloaded, I hate to inform you but three emails went to spam. The emails were from Marriott, Trip Advisor and Roku.

So, do you have a real fix for this ? - or did I waste my money with a subscription for two years (to save money) which still has 12 months to go?

I didn't have problems with TM before your spam add on was made. At this point, if it weren't for the sunk money, I'd jump to Malwarebytes, which is probably a better tool than yours.

Solutions?

John
Photo of john

john

So, what is the definition of Ironic?

TM sent me an email that said "Congratulations, john! Your recent activity in "TMHUC" resulted in your receiving a new badge. Keep up the great work!

You've been awarded the following badge:

75 Points

What's the Irony?

THE EMAIL WAS FLAGGED BY TREND MICRO AS SPAM!!!!!!!!!

Guys, come on.....

Photo of TM_Kiko

TM_Kiko, Employee

• 10,442 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your quick response,

I will be endorsing this case to our level 2 Engineers. You will receive an email in which we will be asking you for your contact details so we cant call you through phones and run diagnostics and perform troubleshooting.

All the best,

Trend Micro Home Users Community

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.