Trend micro up to date and scan showing all well. Scan with Microsoft showing 11 files infected and not done yet!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
I've been using Trend micro since before I bought this computer. It is one of the first programs I installed and for three years it has been reporting all clear on the weekly scans. It has been up to date and running for the life of this computer.  So hopefully guarding against Malicious software.

Today while going to Microsoft site to download a DX installer it was offering a free download of a Microsoft Malicious software scanner and removal tool.  I downloaded it and am running the scan as I type. So far it has found 11 infected files. Not even half way through.
This is a free tool and it is finding problems Trend Micro not only fails to find but allowed to be installed on my comp.

What am I paying a sub to Trend micro for ????  Why does Trend micro not find this files. Why has Trend Micro allowed my comp to become infected??
Photo of jmichaelpatton

jmichaelpatton

• 70 Points

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

• 1,900 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi jmichaelpatton

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

Both Antivirus program follows different patterns, possible that the files detected by the Microsoft Scanner were not malicious. 

To further check this, may we know the scan result of Malware Scanner from Microsoft? Also, include the 11 files that were found on your device.

Awaiting for your response,
- Ann 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.