Trend Micro randomly taking up 20+ MB/s of disk space?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Before I begin, here is my system information:
Computer Information:
    Manufacturer:  Dell Inc.
    Model:  Inspiron 5537
    Form Factor: Laptop
    Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    CPU Brand:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    CPU Family:  0x6
    CPU Model:  0x45
    CPU Stepping:  0x1
    CPU Type:  0x0
    Speed:  2394 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported
    AES:  Supported
    AVX:  Supported
    CMPXCHG16B:  Supported
    LAHF/SAHF:  Supported
    PrefetchW:  Unsupported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver:  Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DirectX Driver Name:  igdumdim32.dll
    Driver Version:  10.18.14.4264
    DirectX Driver Version:  10.18.14.4264
    Driver Date: 8 4 2015
    OpenGL Version: 4.3
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    VendorID:  0x8086
    DeviceID:  0xa16
    Revision:  0x9
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1366 x 768
    Desktop Resolution: 1366 x 768
    Primary Display Size: 13.54" x 7.64" (15.51" diag)
                                            34.4cm x 19.4cm (39.4cm diag)
    Primary Bus Type Not Detected
    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (2- USB Audio Device)

Memory:
    RAM:  8072 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    UI Language:  English
    Media Type:  DVD
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  939392 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  489704 Mb
    OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969
    Game Controller: None detected
    VR Headset: None detected

Now, I have no idea on why trend micro is randomly taking up a metric ton of disk space (usually around 20 MB/s) without any foreseeable pattern, goes back down to 3-5 MB/s (which is still a ton) then goes skyrocketing back up.  this is honestly affecting my ability to use this computer.  I have tried: uninstalling, then reinstalling trend micro, as well as shutting my computer off, then on.  still no luck.  The strange thing is, I use the exact same plan on my gaming computer, and it runs fine.  I am also 95% sure my computer meets the requirements for Trend Micro Internet Security.  but any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few different screenshots of my task manager

Photo of JLB01

JLB01

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 9,336 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello JLB01,

Thanks for reporting this to us and apologies for the inconvenience. Please follow the instructions below:

1. Open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit. To do that, press and hold the Windows button and letter R on your keyboard both at the same time to open the Run console. After that, type: supporttool
  2. Click on OK
  3. That should open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit. On the debug tab, please check if 2. Finish Collecting Data is grayed out. If it is active, please click on it do stop the program from collecting log files.
  4. On the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit, go to (C) Uninstall and then click on 5. Stop all components. Please wait until the Trend Micro Security icon on your system tray disappears before proceeding to the next step.
  5. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AMSP\debug
  6. Delete the contents of the debug folder. After that, please restart your computer and then replicate the issue.
I hope this helps! Should you still encounter the same issue, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,
Pat
(Edited)
Photo of JLB01

JLB01

Hello Pat, 

It seems the issue (although happening less frequently since I attempted the fix) is still fairly present.  I have also noticed it seems to happen more often when I start the computer up, usually lasting for around 1-3 hours if I'm not mistaken, before it begins to cool down.  Afterwards, things seem to run smoother.  I have made sure the computer is on 'balanced protection' (Although, I may test 'extra performance' after I post this, and restart my computer.)  Hopefully, you can get back to me soon, and we can discuss this issue further.
Photo of TM_Kaye

TM_Kaye

• 3,274 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi JLB01

Thank you for getting back to us after trying the steps above.

Please let us know the CPU Usage of the Trend Micro Anti-Malware Solution Platform in the following scenarios below:

• Soon after PC boot up?
• After opening an app/s?
• Opening browser?
• During idle?

Also, kindly check if there is any conflicting or third party software installed on your computer aside from Trend Micro. 

We'll be waiting for you response.

Regards, 
Kaye
Photo of JLB01

JLB01

Hello Kaye.

Is there a simple way of checking whether or not you have conflicting, and/or third party software on your computer?  I know there is a list of different conflicting software, but It seems extraordinarily tedious to go through that list, as well as the somewhat large list of my own software.  

I also seem to be stumped on trying to make sense of the pattern of disk usage trend micro takes up, as it seems to be going up, and down between at least .01 MB/s to at the very most around 50MB/s in what seems to be a roller coaster of insanity  .  But, hopefully you can make sense of what's going on.

Here are the screenshots:

When the computer is starting up:

When I open my browser (Chrome):

When I begin to open an app (Discord, the Link to the site can be found here if you do not recognize it: https://discordapp.com/ )

Hopefully you can make sense of this, because I have just about given up trying to figure out what it's doing
Photo of TM_Ferry

TM_Ferry, Employee

• 2,536 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi JLB01,

Thank you for the screenshots. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience. 

We will need to do a clean reinstallation of Trend Micro program and check if the issue will still persists. This method is not just removing the Trend Micro program from the Control Panel and Programs & Features. 

We'll use our Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit to completely remove all the files of Trend Micro installed on your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the Windows button and letter R on your keyboard both at the same time to open the Run console. After that, type: supporttool
2. Click the Uninstall tab.
3. Click Uninstall Software.
4. Click Yes when asked to confirm the uninstallation.
5. A message will appear with your serial number. Make sure that you copy it first then tick I copied my serial number, then click Uninstall.
6. Click Yes when asked to restart your computer.

For the download and reinstallation guide, please refer to this link:

Installing Trend Micro Security purchased from Best Buy for Windows and for Mac

Please let me know if this worked. Thank you!

Regards,
Ferry