Trend Micro - Need help - Malicious screen freezes, and pop-ups increasingly occurring.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Solved
For years I have used Trend Micro, and have been very satisfied with results. However, in the past 2 or 3 months, I am encountering problems not often encountered in the past. On at least 3 or 4 occasions, my computer has been hit with a type of screen hostage situations, where something pops up with an "official" notice and that my computer has been frozen "for my own protection" and that I should ..blah, blah, blah. I was not able to clear it and did not want to do anything that might inadvertently provide an access, so I simple shut down the computer. After 5 or 10 minutes, I turned back on, and everything was back to normal. I did not use the restore tabs option, and restarted browse locations and gmail, so that I would avoid accidentally re-opening the malicious page. I would think Trend Micro would be able to catch these things and stop them. My second problem is that I am getting substantially more pop-ups, and having tabs opening up with ads or requests that i did not open. These are annoying, in that they slow down my progress on things I want to see. I went to my control panel, pop-up blocker and made sure it was set to on several times, but these pop-ups are still occurring at an ever increasing rate. What can Trend Micro do or advise?
Photo of gtabb74

gtabb74

• 70 Points

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of TM_Kim

TM_Kim, Employee

• 2,582 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
HiĀ gtabb74,

You can try this link as a guide in clearing your browser's cache and history to get rid of the pop-up advertisements on your computer.

Clearing a web browser's cache

Hope this helps. Let me know you if still have questions/concerns.

- Kim