trend is slowing my laptop

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Dell laptop running Win 7. Trend renewed and updated 30 Aug.
Firefox running very slowly.  Loading .docx file - took 1 min 23 secs for MS Word to open. Every click on any icon takes seconds - nothing is immediate. Laptop is running through a swamp.  Turn off Trend and laptop returns to the track - everything returns to previous acceptable speed. Turn Trend back on and laptop diverts straight back to the swamp.
Is there any hope that problem between Trend & Firefox will be resolved - will Trend's effect on oither software be resolved.
Photo of dave

dave

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Annoyed & fed up

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 6,666 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello dave,

Welcome to the Community.

We're sorry to hear about this experience of yours.

It will be helpful to check if you have another antivirus application on your computer aside from Trend Micro.

If you can share a little information with us like we will highly appreciate it. We just need to know when does the issue usually start? Is it right after you boot up the computer or does it start after you open several applications?

In addition to this, you might find this helpful: Slow PC performance due to high CPU or memory usage of CoreServiceShell.exe

We will wait for your updates.

Regards,
Pat
Photo of dave

dave

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sorry Mr Jell - that won't fly.
Simple truth is that when Trend is running everything is slow, especially Firefox and MS Access, MS Word and MS Excel; every click on any icon brings out the hourglass cursor.  When Trend is not running everything works as quickly as I could want. 
Trend have asked about other antivirus programmes - there are no other antivirus programmes on the laptop or the PCs. I will look at the URL they mention at the weekend.
I have used Trend on multiple PCs and laptops for many years without complaint (Trend will have my user records) but this problem started when I upgraded Trend on renewal less than two weeks ago. I have put Trend on to another PC (Trend will have details of that) and that PC has severe problems with Firefox that disappear when I exit from Trend.
I'm busy for the next few days but next weekend I will spend more time on this. For the time being I'll just mention that I've been told to review the forums regarding Trend and Firefox. I'll look at the weekend before I say anything beyomd "I've been pointed at the forums".
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 3,850 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi dave

Please keep us updated on the results, we'll proceed from there. Also, you might want to check if you have browser extensions that may be causing this issue. 

^X
Photo of bobjpa66

bobjpa66

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I'm in full agreement with Dave.  Something is really wrong with Trend.  It's got to be a server response issue or something.  All Chrome browsing is severely hampered when protection is on. The second I disable it in the task tray, boom, it's back to super fast.  Trend, please fix the problem!
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 3,922 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi bobjpa66

We can't be 100% sure that Trend Micro is causing the slow down of your web browsing as there may be other processes running on your computer that's causing this. Do you mind sending us a screenshot of your Task manager showing the processes when you are experiencing the slow down?

Clearing browser cache and temporary internet files and removing extensions can also help. 

^X
Photo of bobjpa66

bobjpa66

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Guys, I'm principal software engineer for a leading tech company with 28 years of experience.  I know how to root cause issues.  This was not other processes slowing it down.  Those have already been minimized and I'm also on SSDs.  There was problem in the last 2 days where Trend protection was the culprit.  (It's easy to bisect when you can just turn off trend in the task tray). Thankfully this morning, the issue appears to be gone.  My instincts lead me to believe that it was server related.  After installing Wire Shark to try to capture any packet delay's the issue no longer is occurring.  The issue may have been regional because my college son in Boston has having no such problems running with on his systems protected by Trend.  If Trend uses AWS or some other provider for services, this may have  been the culprit.
Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 6,526 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello bobjpa66,

Very interesting information about you. It's nice to know that we got a member like you here in our Community and we're looking forward for your help to other members in the future.

Going back to the issue, we are continuously thriving in creating a one-time solution for this problem. It may be difficult to determine what's causing this since there's just a lot of factors to consider. Most of the time it's the computer's environment, and the program will use up a computer's resources for it to carry out the task it is designed to do although it may come to a point where we can say it is unacceptable.

And about your theory that this issue might be something regional is something that we may look into as well, very interesting by the way.

If we could be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,
Pat