System image creation (on windows 10) fails because EFI system partition is locked.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Windows 7 system image creation (on windows 10) fails because EFI system partition is locked. There is no error code. Microsoft support hints that the lock may be held by the anti-virus program. 
System is HP Envy Curved-all-in-one PC 34-b0xx.
OS is Windows 10 Home V 1709 Build 16299.431.  
Trend Maximum Security V12.0
I use windows 7 backup to save files on an external HDD.

How can the lock be released so I can successfully backup my data?

If not possible, I need an alternative backup and restore solution. Any suggestions.

I have not had a successful backup for several months. Please treat this as a high priority.
Photo of john_sheehan

john_sheehan

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of TM_Neo

TM_Neo, Employee

• 1,158 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi john_sheehan, and welcome to the Trend Micro Community!

You might be referring to either the Folder Shield or Trend Micro Vault feature with regards to the lock icon that you can see on the folders.

Can you please provide us a screenshot of the folder with the lock icon so we can provide you the steps to temporary disable the features and see if you can create a backup that way.

We will be waiting for your response.

Have a great day! :) 
Photo of john_sheehan

john_sheehan

Hi and thanks for the response

I don't use the vault feature.

I have some folders in users\<my user>\... protected in folder shield but there is no lock symbol on these folders.

I can't see a lock symbol on any folders in windows explorer.

The windows backup utility seems to copy user data files okay. It fails when it stats to create a system image. The error message is generated from windows backup (not Trend).

Do I need to add the windows 7 backup utility to the trusted programs list in Trend? 

If so what is the path and program name?
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 19,988 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi john_sheehan

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!
I think this is not TM related, can you Exit TM (Right-click icon then Exit)
And reproduce the error, if yes its MS els can you make a screenshot of the error.

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of john_sheehan

john_sheehan

Hi Tom

Thanks for your help. I didn't mean to sound ungracious.

Yesterday I exited TREND and tried my usual backup process. It worked fine.

I tried it with TREND running and it failed. I captured some screenshots of the error messages in a word document  but I can't see how to upload it to this site.

I've also used ACRONIS True Image 2018 to create an image while TREND was running and it worked fine.

The conflict seems to be between TREND and the Windows 7 backup utility running on Windows 10.

It's a bit scary to shut down Trend to do a backup leaving the system exposed for a couple of hours. It's easy to do something stupid forgetting the system is unprotected. I hope TREND would like to see a more permanent fix.

Anyway, thanks for your help - happy to load the screenshots if there is a way to do this.

Enjoy your day

John
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 19,874 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi john_sheehan,

If you look at this reply on the community site and type a message then you see
few options under that window and you can also do it by drag&drop.

Enjoy your day!

kind regards,
Tom
Photo of john_sheehan

john_sheehan

Shut down internet connection and Trend Anti-virus. 

This is a new error message. It was generated after the backup created an image of the system partition and c:/Windows,

It may have failed during backup of d:/Data or e:/Recovery – I wasn’t watching.

Photo of john_sheehan

john_sheehan

Trend antivirus running. This is the first time I received an error code for this error message.

Photo of TM_Malik

TM_Malik, Employee

• 8,700 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi, john_sheehan. We thank you for providing us some screenshots of the error. What happens if you completely disable the Folder Shield feature? You can open the Trend Micro program > go to the Data tab > then click Configure on Folder Shield and turn it off by ticking the slider.

Warm Regards....
Photo of john_sheehan

john_sheehan

Hi Tom, I tried that and got the below message. Backup copied user data for about 10 minutes then failed once it started on the system image.

I prefer Trend to be running so I'll stick with Acronis True Image for the time being, It is too easy to forget that antivirus is disabled and do something silly.

Thanks mate

John
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 19,874 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi john_sheehan

Ok if that is working for you, fine!
Acronis is a good program to!

If you need other help, here from you.

Good luck,

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of mickey limon

mickey limon, Official Rep

• 528 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
hi john_sheehan

we'll run some tests here and investigate further -- the team here will update this thread with our findings.
Photo of john_sheehan

john_sheehan

As you can see from the above backup fails if Trend is running. The error message is different for system image creation versus data file backup. 

Once Trend is shutdown the backup utility works fine.

Tom

Hope these help diagnose the problem. 

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

John
Photo of Max Slo

Max Slo, Champion

• 7,622 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
-I'm not a Trend Micro representative, but I like to give you some suggestion-

Hello,
usually when I make a complete backup I disable Antivirus solution. Usually security solutions do not like that another software copy all the files... it is simply their job. It is normal that in some circumstances backup do not complete properly when an AV is running. It is not a 'true' issue. Simply, you have to disable it before to start a backup. 
Correct complete backup is:
- Disable internet connection
- Disable Security Softwares
- Backup
- Chack at the backup
- Restart Security Softwares
- Connect to the Internet

Anyway, can I suggest you to try AOMEI Backupper Standard? It is for free and works pretty good, and seems to work perfectly with TM solutions (or at max you have to set it in whitelist). I never used Microsoft backup utility, too much resources.
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 19,988 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
H iohn_sheehan and Max Slo

I go with the suggestion of Max, but never the less i use the backup here and had never a problem.
So i run at the moment a TM beta version and did the backup and had no trouble. Did all kind of things but go's well.
 Just to compare:
Win 10 64 bit pro, latest version
i7 processor Samsung SSD is the C:\ the backup is a USB 3 drive
Settings of TM
"C:\Users" is protected and the USB drive also by protect all USB devices.
I use Ccleaner pro, but do not use protection.
So John are you run also other software that can trigger things ( never use 2 AV protectors at the same time)
Here from you.

Kind regards,
Tom

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.