Strange Behaviour

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
Hello, a strange thing happen today: on my Win 7 computer this morning, everytime I clicked on an app, it said Not Responsive. Ok I make a virus scan. But when I click on the Trend Micro icon in the task bar, nothing happen. So I boot in safe mode. The Trend Micro Icon on my desktop was gone. But there was an icon as exc. file. Meaning I had to unzip the folder. After that it told me, Trend Micro can not run in safe mode. Does not make sense... but ok. Reboot in normal mode, there is no more Trend Micro. Reinstall it new, run a Full Scan. It runs over 2 hours now and I am at 10 % scan! I stopped it once, thinking something hang and run it again... same same! This was never happen before and I am a Trend Micro user since the early days of Pccillin

Photo of dwc

dwc

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of TM_Lila

TM_Lila, Employee

• 860 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi dwc,

Welcome to Trend Micro Community.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Have you take note of the specific file name where the Trend Micro scan hangs? 

Possible reason why things like these happens is because the file being scanned might be corrupted or Trend Micro program does not have a permission to scan the file.

You may follow the steps on the link below to troubleshoot the issue:
Unable to stop Trend Micro program from scanning

Let me know how it goes.

-Lila
(Edited)
Photo of dwc

dwc

Hi Lila, no, it actually does not hang.... it just goes super slow! 2 hours ago it was at 57.000 files, now it is at 176.000 but still at 11 %!
When I look at the ring with blue lines, which seem to be the progress ring, it slowly turns. I scan my computer often, but it NEVER took that long!
Dorian
Photo of dwc

dwc

I stopped it, because it slows down my computer

Photo of dwc

dwc

I rebooted and wanted to run the scan again, but it does not open anymore, rebooted already 3x. The icon sits in the system tray, but nothing happens when I click. Closing and opening several times also does not do anything!
Actually, when I closed the icon in the system tray and waited for a while, then I double click on the desktop icon, the opening screen comes up (in red) but that is all, after about 10-15  seconds it is gone and nothing happens anymore

(Edited)
Photo of TM_Lila

TM_Lila, Employee

Thank you for your response dwc. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Trend Micro may take a while to scan sometimes. This may happen due to the following:
-File being scanned is corrupted
-File being scanned has no permissions
-File being scanned is too big

Since you mentioned that the performance of your computer is slow, I will provide you a link where you can download our Hotfix. Please refer to the link below:
Slow PC performance due to high CPU

By the way, may I ask what is the version of the Trend Micro that you installed on your computer? Is it running on the latest version which is 15?

Awaiting for your response.

-Lila
(Edited)
Photo of dwc

dwc

update: I finally was able to run it through.... very funny thing, it shows 13% and then it jumps to 78%
Photo of TM_Lila

TM_Lila, Employee

Glad to know that dwc.

In case you need more help, please let us know immediately.

- Lila