Scam

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
I have Trend Micro installed on my laptop, while using it, a scam warning on screen. Warning to  call the "Microsoft Technicians" immediately or computer would shut down endangering my files. I have been scamed by these people 2 times, once before I figured it out I payed a lot of money for them to fix my computer. What can I do to protect myself from this happening again?
Photo of bevatbeach

bevatbeach

• 70 Points
  • anxious

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of TM_JustineM

TM_JustineM, Employee

• 3,744 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hello bevatbeach and welcome to the community.

Thank you for posting your concern, I strongly suggest upgrading the Trend Micro program on all the computers that you have so that the new feature of the program will alert you on what you can do when you are being told to call a number. Also I strongly advise you to not call the phone number, sine they will ask for a remote access to your computer and they will have administrator privilege to install a software that can contain a malware aside from the fee that they will be asking you. Here is a link about how you can try to avoid paying these type of people.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Suspected Third Party Technical Support Scams

In addition, if you are getting the messages from your browser please clear the browsing history or reset your browser. So that when you use your browser again it will not show the tech support scam message, you can click on this link for you to see how you can reset your browser.

Resetting your web browser for performance and website redirection issues

I hope this helps answer your concern, we will wait for your response.

Thank you and have a great day!

Trend Micro Home Users Community