Outlook 2016 not opening

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
Hi There, I am running windows 10, Office 2016 and Maximum security 2017. All of a sudden my Outlook 2016 was not opening, however when I open the task manager the outlook.exe file was running, after much trouble shooting I have discovered that it works perfectly once I have removed Trend Micro, I did a full re install of TM and the problem started again. does anyone have any suggestions on what would be causing Outlook to not open?
Sometimes I have to click the Outlook icon 8 times before it will open, I then have 8 x outlook.exe programs running in my task bar, opening task manager and ending the program 8 times is not ideal.
Photo of sj_morgan

sj_morgan

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 21,294 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Morgan,

You may try this solution, i quote:

Click Start > Run.
Type “winword.exe” in Search programs and files field.
Then right click "winword.exe", and click Properties.
Properties will open and click "Compatibility tab".
Check the box for "Run this program as an administrator".
Click OK.
Hope this will solve your problem

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

• 15,740 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi @sj_morgan, thanks for trying our new Community! 

For your issue, could you please disable the Trend Micro Antispam Toolbar feature temporarily and see if the problem is resolved.

Please refer to the steps below for disabling the Antispam Toolbar:
  1. Close your Outlook.
  2. Open your Trend Micro Security software main console by doing any of the following:
    ・Double-click the Trend Micro desktop shortcut.
    ・Double-click the Trend Micro icon on system tray, and found on the bottom-right corner.
  3. Click Settings (gear-like icon) to open the Protection Settings window.
  4. Click Internet & Email Controls.
  5. Click Spam & Emailed Files.
  6. Uncheck Filter out unsolicited advertisements and other unwanted email messages.
  7. Click Apply and OK.
Now open Outlook again and check if your Outlook client issue is improved.

Please let us know how the troubleshooting goes. Thank you!

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of ostq

ostq

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same computer configuration as Morgan (W10, Office 2016, TMS 2017) and am having the same problem.

First time around, I could see multiple instances of Outlook running in Task Manager.

Each time I tried to start Outlook, I got a "working" circle and then it disappeared.

Stopped the multiple instances, rebooted, still a problem.

Then still a simple "Repair" of Outlook - same problem.

Did a full "Repair" of Outlook and it started okay.

Then, this morning, problem again although I could see an instance of Outlook running.

Stopped the Outlook instance, quit TMS and bingo - could start Outlook normally.

Once Outlook was started, I was able to start TMS.

This seems to be a TMS problem - please advise.

Thanks
Oliver
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi ostq,

Dit you try this?

You may try this solution, i quote:

Click Start > Run.
Type “winword.exe” in Search programs and files field.
Then right click "winword.exe", and click Properties.
Properties will open and click "Compatibility tab".
Check the box for "Run this program as an administrator".
Click OK.
Hope this will solve your problem

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of ostq

ostq

Hi Tom:
I'll try this if I have a problem again. Unfortunately, this seems to be a bit intermittent, so it's not something I can produce at will.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Oliver
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

Hi @ostq, thanks for trying our new Community! 

For your issue, if the same symptom occurs, please try the both solutions that Tom and I provided, and do let us know the result of your verification.

If there are any error message, please provide a picture of the message, we'll assist you soon. Thank you!

Photo of ostq

ostq

Hi Tom and Linda
I have tried both of the solutions suggested and neither works.
I'm baffled as to why I would need to run Word as an administrator, but did so anyway.
Also tried running outlook as administrator without success.
In the mean time, to get by, every time I start my computer, I have to:
  • wait until TM has fully started
  • exit TM
  • start Outlook
  • wait till Outlook is fully started
  • start TM

While this works, it's a time waster and shouldn't be the way I have to operate. I'm also concerned about forgetting to restart TM.
Oliver
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi ostq,

You may try this.
Uninstall TM,with
Uninstalling Trend Micro Security 2017 using the Uninstall Tool
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security-2017/1115650.asp...:
then:
Using the Trend Micro Remnant File Remover Tool
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security-2017/1104912.asp...
then install the latest version of TM.
Reinstalling the latest version of Trend Micro Security program
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1058995.aspx?_ga=1.147757687.1592...
Hope this solve your problem.

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of ostq

ostq

Hi Tom:

The procedure above seems to have worked - for the first time in months I've been able to open Outlook with TM running.

Thank you for your help.
Oliver
Photo of TM_Gerald

TM_Gerald, Employee

• 554 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi @ostq, that sounds great!

Looks like we have a go-to-guy for future Trend Micro security concerns -- @Tom Emellot. Thank you!
Photo of ostq

ostq

Hi All:
Sorry to say, I spoke too soon - this morning, back to the same old behaviour - Outlook won't open while TM is running, although in Task Manager I can see an instance running. :-(
Any other ideas?
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

Hi @ostq, thanks for getting back.

For your issue, please follow the instruction below to see if the problem is solved:

Step 1: Stop your Real-Time Scan
  1. Right-click on the Trend Micro system tray icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
  2. Click "Protection Against Viruses & Spyware" and the Real-Time Scan will be disabled temporality.
Step 2: Stop User Mode Hooking
  1. Click Start > All Apps > Trend Micro Security > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
  2. Click the (C) Threats tab.
  3. Check on "Pause User Mode Hooking"
  4. Click "Apply" then "OK" to save the changes.
Don't forget to re-enable your the setting after the confirmation.

If the issue is solved by the above two steps, please add Outlook to the Exception List to see if the same symptom occurs.
Configuring the Exception List of Trend Micro Security software - refer to "Add programs or folders"

If the problem persists, since you are a subscriber of our premium support service, please call the Premium Service hotline directly to speak to someone live, who is also equipped with advanced tools to quickly diagnose and resolve your issues. Please find the premium service phone number in the "Call Premium Support" section in this page

Thank you.

(Edited)
Photo of ostq

ostq

Hi Linda:

On Step 1, the Enable real-time scanning box was NOT checked - so I left this alone.
On Step 2, the Uninstall tab was tab (C) and there was no option to change User Mode Hooking - or on any of the other tabs. (I tried to include a screenshot, but this dialogue box won't allow that.)
So, I haven't been able to implement either of your suggestions.
I'll call support when I get a chance.
Thanks
Oliver
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

Hi Oliver,  thanks for getting back!

Sorry that I need to correct the instructions that I provided last time. Please follow the right steps again to see if the problem is solved:

Step 1: Stop your Real-Time Scan
  1. Right-click on the Trend Micro system tray icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
  2. Click "Protection Against Viruses & Spyware" and the Real-Time Scan will be disabled temporality.
Step 2: Stop User Mode Hooking
  1. Click Start > All Apps > Trend Micro Security > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
  2. Click the (C) Threats tab.
  3. Check on "Pause User Mode Hooking"
  4. Click "Apply" then "OK" to save the changes.
Don't forget to re-enable your the setting after the confirmation.

If the issue is solved by the above two steps, please add Outlook to the Exception List to see if the same symptom occurs.

Configuring the Exception List of Trend Micro Security software - refer to "Add programs or folders"

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. It's quite a few steps to perform, but please do let us the result of your verification. Thank you.

(Edited)
Photo of Stefan

Stefan

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Linda:

same issue with Outlook as discribed by Oliver on my computer (W10, Office 2016, TMIS).

Scenario I (no exception list)
If I disable the "User Mode Hoocking" by ticking (!) it in tab (B), Outlooks behaves normally. If I untick the option, Outlook hangs. (I'm sorry for the Non-English screenshot - "Benutzermodus-Hooking anhalten" means "Stop User Mode Hooking")

Scenario II (with exception list for outlook.exe)
Outlook behaves normally with enabled or disabled "User Mode Hoocking".

Thanks and best regards,
Stefan
(Edited)
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

Hi Stefan, thanks for providing the detailed information.

If possible, please add Outlook to the Exception List in the meantime. For this issue, we've passed to our related Team for further investigation. We will get back to you once we received an update. Thank you.

Photo of ostq

ostq

Hi Linda:
Followed your instructions and then added Outlook to the Exceptions list.
Seems to have worked, including after a reboot.
Cautiously optimistic!
Thank you
Oliver
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

Hi everyone!

For this Outlook 2016 issue, we're now investigating this issue. Unfortunately, the root cause is not identified yet. We would like to gather some logs from your computer for further investigation. If possible, please provide the following information for us.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
・Name:
・Contact Number:
・Email:
・Serial Number:
・Call Back Date/Time (with Standard Time):
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To protect your personal information, please refer to this help article and create a private post for us: 
[How-To] Create a discussion thread in private

Our engineer will contact you directly on the call back date and time. Thank you!

Photo of ostq

ostq

Hi Linda:
I have privately posted my call back information as requested.
One further public questions though:
What are the implications of having Outlook as a listed Exception - does this mean my email is no longer protected by TM?
Oliver
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

Hi @Oliver, 

For your question, as your mentioned once you add Outlook to the Exemption List, it means the Real-time Scan feature will not work for Outlook. But if you click suspicious URLs, "Web Threats Protection" will help you block the dangerous websites. Also, if you download compressed files to your computer, our "Enabling Real-Time Scan for compressed files" will scan the files for you.

Adding to the Exception List is just for a workaround. Please do not open/execute any programs in Outlook directly now. We're  gathering logs and doing further investigations, once a solution is available, we will update you ASAP.

Thank you!

Photo of trish-

trish-

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is absolutely ridiculous!!!  Why buy this product if it is going to render other programs inoperable???  I am having the same problems and don't have a bunch of time to uninstall, make changes, reinstall and then hope for the best.  Trend needs to fix this or plan on giving out a lot of refunds.  I'm not going to spend time messing with it.  I need to be able to get to my email...not after a bunch of extra time and work because your product is causing problems.  I'm going back to McAfee...I should have never left!
Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 6,456 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello trish and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for letting us know about this problem that you encountered. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kindly follow the steps from another post to help us resolve this issue.

https://en.community.trendmicro.com/tm_en/topics/outlook-2016-become-hang-after-install-trend-micro-...

I hope this helps! Should you have any other concern, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.