Office Scan seems to have stopped my PC working

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
A few days ago my W7 PC wouldn't boot,so I sent various logs to tech support from company I bought PC from .
They replied:
It does look to be related to
‘OfficeScan’ which is a feature of the Trend Micro Anti-virus suite. When in SafeMode, you should be able to uninstall this from the Control Panel
Firstly, unable to uninstall TM while in Safe Mode! had to find another way. Why!

PC rebooted as normal, I tried it three times.
Have reinstalled TM Max Security and so far things are OK.
I shall panic every time I turn on PC now, and I am concerned it will happen again - is there a way I can disable Office Scan?
Photo of TanyaT

TanyaT

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 6,666 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello TanyaT and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for letting us know about this issue that you have encountered. Apologies for whatever inconvenience this has caused you.

Trend Micro OfficeScan is a completely different product designed for corporate use. I'm afraid that this community can only support issues for products designed and developed for Home Users.

You may reach out to our Corporate Support so they can assist you accordingly with your concern.

I hope that this answers your question.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of TanyaT

TanyaT

I'm not a corporate user though, I'm a home user, so why do my logs show that Office Scan's causing a problem?
Photo of TM_Kiko

TM_Kiko, Employee

• 10,442 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello TanyaT 

It seems that the OfficeScan program was pre-installed on the computer when you purchased it.

Again, we do recommend that you contact our Corporate team to help you remove the OfficeScan program entirely from your computer.

I hope this helps,

Photo of TanyaT

TanyaT

am told: The file that was causing the fault (TMUMH.sys) definitely belongs to Trend-Micro. A quick search online mentions that it is primarily used for OfficeScan, however its possibly an umbrella component responsible for many other aspects of the non-commercial version.

I hope it's not causing similar problems!

btw nothing was installed on my PC when I bought it, I don't buy from companies who do that
(Edited)
Photo of TM_JustineM

TM_JustineM, Employee

• 3,774 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hello TanyaT,

Apologies for the getting back late. The OfficeScan program is not easy to remove since it is for corporate security, we strongly recommend contacting our corporate support to remove the program. In addition, when you purchase a new computer a temporary security program is installed. This is done so that consumers can use the device immediately, this is one possible reason how you got the program.

I hope this helps clarify your concern.

Thank you and have a great week!

Photo of TanyaT

TanyaT

I do not have Office Scan
The company I bought the PC from installs nothing on the computers except an OS.

However TMUMH.sys was on my PC as part of TM Max Sec, and it did cause the crash.

All ok now, fingers crossed
Photo of TM_Jabi

TM_Jabi, Employee

• 7,242 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello TanyaT.

Thanks for your response and apologies for getting back late. 

We are glad that we were able to help. If you have questions or problems again, do not hesitate to post again. 

Thank you and have a great week! 

Photo of Schiwata

Schiwata

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If it's Office Scan, it's definitely a Trend Micro Corporate product.
If it came pre-installed on your computer, you can uninstall it normally from the control panel (otherwise it would ask for a password). I suggest following what the employee sent and contact support. It's a pain removing all drivers and registry entries on your own. There's a KB before that i followed, I can't find it anymore though.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.