Nearly Constant 100% Disk Usage For Several Days on PC (Trend File MBG.db)

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
* Nearly constant 100% disk usage for several days.

* Reboots don't help.

* Top file being written as per Resource Monitor under System process is Trend file MBG.db.

* I couldn't figure out how to open a case. Has the support process changed?

* Exited Outlook to see if that helps.

* Seems to repeat every few minutes even with Outlook off and Trend off.

* Trend is clearly not turning off when you turn it off.

* Found Trend had turned itself back on even thought I had clicked on link to keep off until restart.

* Turned Trend off again but still the Trend MBG.db is constantly being written to...
Photo of ircil56

ircil56

• 628 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated (Again)

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 24,560 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi ircil56 
Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!

I Quote this from a someone that was given a solution with similar problems:

1. Press Windows + R, then type in "supporttool". Choose yes when the UAC prompts. 
2. In the Diagnostic Toolkit window, go to the Uninstall tab. Click Uninstall Software. 
    Note: Do the Restart after you complete the steps until step 4. 
3. Download the Remnant File Remover through the link below. Right click on the downloaded file and run it as administrator.

Remnant File Remover Tool

4. Download the Permission Tool through the link below and run it as administartor.

Trend Micro Permission Tool  

5. Restart the computer. 

After that, you may already try installing the program. You may refer to the link below.

Installing Trend Micro Security

Hope this works.

Kind regards,
Tom
(Edited)
Photo of TM_Kiko

TM_Kiko, Employee

• 10,442 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello ircil56 ! Thanks for posting here.

Thank you Tom Emmelot !

Kindly perform a clean reinstall then let us know if it solves the problem.

All the best.
Photo of roland.sparks

roland.sparks

• 60 Points
Had the same problem. Running windows 10.  I did the clean install and it solved the problem. The issue is every few months when windows does big updates, I run into the same problem. I would say every two months or so I have to do a clean install of Trend Micro security to solve the problem.  Not sure if it is a windows or trend micro issue.
Photo of TM_Kaye

TM_Kaye

• 3,274 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi roland.sparks

Thanks for your update.

When you encounter this again, kindly check if the Trend Micro Security is calling logs on your computer. For your reference, you may see this link. See to it that the "2. Finish Collecting Data" is grayed out. Also, you may consider contacting our Technical Support hotline for further investigation of this issue. 

Have a wonderful day!
Photo of jgoucher3950

jgoucher3950

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Would I be understanding correctly that doing the uninstall and then reinstalling, uses the same activation - since it is the same computer?  (I'm experiencing the high activity relating to the MBG as described in the beginning of this conversation.  I am just making sure it won't require a second activation.)

The Trend Micro Permission link is non-functional.  Will I need that to get everything working correctly?
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 5,434 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi jgoucher3950

Yes, you will use the same serial number or activation code and yes, you have to run the permission tool. Can you please check this link below? It should work as expected. Otherwise, let me know. 

Using the Trend Micro Permission Tool

^X
(Edited)
Photo of danfangio

danfangio

• 60 Points
Experiencing the same issue. Already uninstalled\reinstalled. Same occurring again.
Photo of TM_Ferry

TM_Ferry, Employee

• 2,536 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi danfangio,

Did you use the Trend Micro diagnostic toolkit in removing the Trend Micro program?

This is for us to make sure that you did a clean reinstallation on your computer. Thank you!

Regards,
Ferry
Photo of jgoucher3950

jgoucher3950

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've had to repeat this three more times, and it looks like another time has arrived.  There hasn't even been a windows update before this one started eating up the disk I/O.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.