MYOB AccountRight .exe file repeatedly blocked even after adding to Unblocked programs

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
Installation of MYOB AccountRight .exe file is being blocked even when added to Unblocked programs. Error keeps repeating saying that a new security threat has been found each time for the same file.  Any ideas?  Windows 10 Home, HP Spectre, TrendMicro Maximum Security fully up to date.  Account Right file downloaded directly from MYOB as per this link: https://www.myob.com/au/support/download-accountright
Photo of david.jones

david.jones

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of TM_Joemar

TM_Joemar, Alum

• 3,550 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi david.jones,

Have you tried adding the entire folder of the MYOB program?

^Joemar
Photo of david.jones

david.jones

That wasn't the issue, Trend Micro would not let the program install in the first place.  The work-around once I verified the file was legitimate was to turn off Trend Micro to allow installation and then turn it back on.  It runs perfectly without any issues now, it was the intall file that was being prevented from running, and as each install attempt creates new Temporary files for that process, there was no way to properly Unblock the appropriate files.
Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

• 1,620 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi david.jones,

Thank you for the response.  As of now, we have a separate team investigating this case, we'll keep you posted on this thread once we have an update.

Regards,
- Ann
(Edited)
Photo of securitelptyltd

securitelptyltd

• 70 Points
Any update with this problem? I can't update my MYOB either, it has been added to the safe list, but as per above, MYOB creates a temp file each time, so the file name is different every time.
Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

Hi  david.jones and securitelptyltd,

We have already raised this case to our senior engineers. We would appreciate if you could respond to our email regarding your contact details to gather more data about this.

- Ann
Photo of taharp

taharp

• 60 Points
I am having the same issue with Trend Micro right now, trying to install the latest update of MYOB but programme keeps blocking it even after I turn the unblock off it still does it, very frustrating !!!!!!!!!!

(Edited)
Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

Hi taharp

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and thanks for sharing it here. I sent you an email about endorsing your case to our senior engineer to assist you and to find the root cause for this.

Thank you for your understanding.

- Ann
(Edited)
Photo of valeviewdm

valeviewdm

• 60 Points
Yes very frustrating, i am in the same boat.  Please keep me posted as to the fix.
thanks
Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

We're sorry to hear about your experience, valeviewdm. We'll keep you posted on this thread as soon as we have an update. 

Thank you. 

- Ann
Photo of david.jones

david.jones

By way of update, the only work around was to turn off Trend Micro to allow installation and then turn it back on after installation complete.  It is not possible to add the exe file to the Unblocked files as it creates new Temp files every time you run it.  Once installed there are no issues with compatibility.
Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

Thank you for your suggestion david.jones. As of now, we are still confirming the root cause in order for us to give you a solution to prevent this from happening again. But rest assured, that we have a dedicated team working on this. 

May we ask if you could provide your computer details like your operating system and the MYOB program version that you have? This would help us to replicate your case on our end. 

Kindly reply to this thread if you want us to contact you and we'll send you details via email.

Thank you 
- Ann

Photo of greg

greg

• 380 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thankfully our MYOB is not affected by TM AV.
Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

Hi greg

Thank you for the response. Possible that you are not affected because you have Trend Micro for Business Products which has a different implementation from Home products. 

Regards, 
Ann
Photo of INFO

INFO

• 60 Points
When will this be fixed. Or post a work around. I under stand when there are problems but post a solution's. Same problem 
Photo of TM_Ann

TM_Ann, Official Rep

• 1,210 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi INFO

We're sorry to hear that you are encountering the same issue. Please let us know if you are willing to coordinate with our Senior engineers by responding to our email. 

Thank you 

- Ann
Photo of david.jones

david.jones

Hi INFO, up to you whether you want to do it this way or not, but turning of TM for the 30 seconds it takes to instal MYOB and then turning it straight back on, was the only work-around that I have been able to find.  Worked without issue for me then and doesn't block ongoing operation of MYOB once installed.
Photo of securitelptyltd

securitelptyltd

• 70 Points
Same here David. It was the only way around it, spent 1 hour on the phone with tech support trying to make exceptions for folders etc. Such a waste of time considering it is a legitimate product.
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 9,366 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi all, 

Turning off the Trend Micro program for a while to install MYOB may solve the issue but this is just a quick fix. If MYOB, say install an update and creates another temp file in a location unknown to Trend Micro, we may have to resort into another resolution again. So we suggest escalating this to our Senior Engineers for a resolution. 

^X