Maximum Security 2017 problem during installation #1603, 3002, 0xe0220019

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
Hi,

yesterday the trend micro icon changed to "update in progress" after some time it didn't change, so i decided to restart the computer. Since then Trend Micro Maximum Security isn't starting. I tried to uninstall and install it again.

At 98% of the installation it's changing the screen to "...check is needed...". Afterwards i'm getting the error message from the title "#1603, 3002, 0xe0220019" and i'm unable to start the software...only the password manager is installed.

I tried to follow the instructions of uninstalling and reinstalling from this sites: https://esupport.trendmicro.com.au/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/titanium-maximum-security/1104...
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security-2017/1111791.asp...

downloaded tools:

Ti_110_win_en_Tool_UninstallTool_hfb0002.exe, Ti_110_win_en_Tool_TMRemnantFileRemoveTool_hfb0001.exe and also Ti_all_win_en_RegKeyFolderPermissionRecover_Tool0001.exe

without any change. I'm still unable to install it successfully.

Are there any ideas how to fix this issue?

thx for your support

br
Stefan
Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of TM_Ian

TM_Ian, Employee

• 5,222 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi @FDSteve and welcome to Trend Micro Community!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We understand that you have already tried multiple troubleshooting steps to resolve your issue and we apologize for causing any troubles for this.

One possible reason that you encounter this error code is that there is a disk error on your PC. To resolve this issue, please try to run a checkdisk command to your PC. Here are the steps:

1: Open cmd with admin privilege. 
2: Execute command: "chkdsk /f C: > chkdsk_f_result.txt". This command will try to fix hard disk issue 
3: Check if chkdsk /f fixed the hard disk issue. 
4. Reinstall the Trend Micro Software. 

We hope this helps. Please let us know if the issue persists after running checkdisk.

Have a wonderful day! :)

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

i'm sorry, but this didn't work. I've done the steps (checkdisk got started during the restart), did the uninstall procedure again and tried to install again...without any change, same error message.

I'm having Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703, Build 15063.296 with an SSD (drive C)

Do you need some logfiles from "C:\ProgramData\Trend Micro" or "C:\ProgramData\Trend Micro Installer"?

br
Stefan
Photo of TM_Kiko

TM_Kiko, Employee

• 10,442 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello there FDSteve ! Thanks for the response.

We appreciate the details that you have provided us about the results of the previous troubleshooting steps. Allow me to continue helping you out with this.

This might sound a repeated step, but can we try running the Remnant File Remover tool again, to make sure that the Trend Micro files will be removed entirely?

After that, you can make sure that there will be no Trend Micro files that will be left out. You can manually go to these locations on your computer.
  • Local Disk (C:) > Program Data
  • Local Disk (C:) > Program Files
  • Local Disk (C:) > Program Files(x86)
  • Local Disk(C:) > Users > [User Name] > Appdata > Local
Then delete the Trend Micro related folders in them. Then try clearing or emptying your recycle bin.

Once deleted, kindly do a quick reboot of your computer then kindly try accessing the built in Administrator account by doing the following steps below.

1. Run the CMD in administrator mode.
-You can hit the windows key on your keyboard then make a search for the CMD. If there will be any results, right click on it then select Run as Administrator.

2. You should see there a black window that will allow you to key in a command. You can run the following command to enable the hidden administrator/built in administrator account.

net user administrator /active:yes

NOTE: You can have this command reverted by keying this command:

net user administrator /active:no

3. After keying net user administrator /active:yes, you will be notified that it was a success. You can restart your computer now and once the computer is back online, you will notice that there will be a new User profile that is being created that is named Administrator.  You can open that user profile then try doing the installation from there.

Let me know if this helps.

Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi,

i tried the steps above. nothing changed.

Here is the output from the Remnant tool:

Trend Micro security software Hotfix installer  - Setup

-> Operating system - WIN10_0_64

-> User account

Get programfile permission...

Executing SetACL commands to restore registry and folder permission...

check the hotfix execute mode  - 0 (Failed)

Run uninstall tool

check mode 0 or 2?  - 0 (Failed)

-> Installation complete

-> Operating system - WIN10_0_64

Installation successful!

br

Stefan

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 24,560 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stefan,

did you try to install with the administrator account and what was the Error then, can you give a screenshot of that error?

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi Tom,

i tried to install with the admin account, same error as in the subject and in the description.

br
Stefan
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi FDSteve,

Can you give this a try?
Can you uninstall all AV and other related software like a firewall program, then first a Reg-clean with Ccleaner.
Clean all the temp folders, also the windows\temp
Then download this program Registrar Registry Manager.
http://www.resplendence.com/main
Then use the home version, that is Free.
Then search for "Trend Micro" and delete all the trend micro lines he found.
Then with a clean machine, try a install again.
Hope this will do the trick.

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi Tom,

i have started the uninstall und remnant tool again. Afterwards i did your steps (cleaning temp folders with "Disk Cleanup" and also deleting the content of C:\Program Data\Trend Micro, C:\Programs Files(x86)\Trend Micro, C:\Programs Files\Trend Micro, C:\Windows\Temp, starting CCleaner and CCleaner). I have done these steps with my windows account and also with the local admin account. I have only windows defender and windows firewall (which i deactivated for the above steps) installed.

But i'm getting the same error message.

Maybe i should try it with an older version of the software? But i don't know where to find the download.

Can anybody tell me what this error message means?
Should i provide you some LogFiles?

br
Stefan
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 24,466 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stefan,

I wait on the result of the things Justine give you, but the most important part of my solution was the part Cleaning with "Registrar Registry Manager" !!!
I use that because it gets really everything!!!

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

a little update...after the last installation i got the task bar icon..starting in grey saying "restart required", after restart it turns red but i'm not able to start any application (main console, troubleshooting tool,...)  from the context menu
Photo of TM_JustineM

TM_JustineM, Employee

• 3,774 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hello @FDSteve,

Apologies for the inconvenience you are experiencing. Can you try to create a new account on your Windows 10 computer then install the Trend Micro program on that new account. You can create a new account by following these steps:

On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:
Select the Start (Windows logo) button, then select Settings (gear like icon) > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC. 
Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

To make the new account an administrator account, select Start (Windows logo) > Settings (gear like icon) > Account > Family & other people (or Other people, if you're using Windows 10 Enterprise), and select Change account type. Under Account type, select Administrator > OK. Restart your machine and sign in with the new administrator account.

We hope this helps, please let us know if you are able to install the program after creating the new account.

Have a wonderful day!

Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi Justine,

i did following steps:

created a new admin account, restarted and logged in (and used for the other steps)
used uninstall, remnant, ccleaner and registrar
deleted C:\Program Data\Trend Micro and C:\Program Data\Trend Micro Installer
reboot, installed Trend Micro (one restart during system check was needed)

I'm getting the same error message.
Now my taskbar icon says "Please activate"...but the context menu isn't working

br
Stefan
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi Stefan,

Still keeping the good mood? Kan you open start/run and type : supporttool.exe
Can you open Tab C Type on button 5 (Stop all components) wait a wail.
Then use button 2 and 3 and then Button 4 (Start all components) and see what happens.

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 9,496 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello @FDSteve

Thank you for providing these updates.

I believe that the Trend Micro Security software on your computer has been already installed, only that you are having problems activating it that is why you are seeing the "Please Activate..." message on your system tray. This kind of problem may be related to a possible network issue, please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Change the DNS server address
  • On your keyboard, press the Windows Windows Key+ R keys.
  • In the Open field, type "ncpa.cpl", then press ENTER. The Network Connections window should appear.
  • Right-click Local Area Connection, then select Properties.
  • Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
  • Check value of the Preferred DNS server field and the Alternate DNS server field. If the value is 85.255.xxx.xxx (where xxx represent numbers), select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
  • Click OK twice, then close the window and check if the issue persists.
Note: If the issue still persists, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Flush the DNS
  • On your keyboard, press the Windows Windows Key+ R keys.
  • In the Open field, type "cmd", then press ENTER. The Command Prompt window should appear.
  • Type "ipconfig /flushdns" on the Command Prompt window, then press ENTER.
  • Close the Command Prompt window when you receive a message that the DNS has been flushed.
  • Check if the issue persists.
If you will still encounter the same problem after doing the steps above, then the issue that you have might be related to a possible hardware incompatibility issue. For us to check, Right click the Windows Windows Key icon on your Desktop. It will then show you a list of options. From that list, select Disk Management.

Once Disk Management is open, please check if there is a disk that is labelled as "Not Initialized". If there is, then you may seek assistance from a technician around your area to get it initialized. Once initialized, it is expected that you should be able to activate the Trend Micro Security software on your computer.

I hope this helps!

Should you have any other concern, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi Pat,
Hi Tom,

my DNS Servers are retrieved automatically.

Currently they are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (both are google dns servers).

All disks are initialized, and my card reader is available (but no cards inserted)

i tried to start the supporttool.exe from the path "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Titanium"...but the tool looks a bit strange. I think there are files missing, because the button texts are missing (look at the screenshot). Nevertheless i tried your steps. The tool was not able to stop the software (taskbar icon was still visible)...i clicked button 2 and 3, afterwards button 4 and the taskbar icon was shown twice for a few seconds.

From my side i think that there is missing something. I attached a tree view from 3 folders where i think that there is the software installed...if i missed something let me know.

Only pictures can be attached, so i uploaded it to my OneDrive:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtslXHP5yc-NnLVnfd-X7vBwT8WqAw

br
Stefan
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi Stefan,

You where early this morning, do you have a system restore point from before the first update?
If so go back to that point and see TM is up and working, if not (i don't think so)
Do a install with the latest over the existing!

Installing Internet Security 2017
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/internet-security-2017/1115023.as...
Should ask to uninstall first and restart, then it goes further with the install (after a while)

Hope you got a system restore point from before the trouble!

Kind regards,
Tom
(Edited)
Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi Tom,

maybe this is due to the different time zones ;) (i'm in Austria GMT+1).

i only have one restore point...but this is only from the time where i tried to install it again after the error (before i created the topic).

Again i used the uninstall and remnant tool. ccleaner and registrar. I tried to find and delete all entries in the registry and file system with "Trend Micro" and "TrendMicro" in it...with no success, same error message.

br
Stefan
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi Steve,

No TM at the moment on your PC.
Ok I think there is something wrong with the MS product!
So Can you download this program:
 http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html
Use the free version, its want you to do the repairs in save mode and the program provide that, follow the advices they give and repair the whole thing.
Make a restore point before start. And clean all TM remnants.
Then when done and a new startup You may tray a new install of TM
Keep my fingers crossed ;)

Kind regards,
Tom

Photo of FDSteve

FDSteve

Hi everybody,

i finally found the problem. I was able to install TM when i started Windows in "Diagnostic Startup" mode. TM installed and started without problems...but...after i changed back to normal boot mode TM was not able to start (grey icon for about a minute and then it disappeared). So i thought that some service or application is blocking the correct startup of TM.

I checked "auto run" services and also windows services, but didn't find any noticeable service. After some time i decided to reset the PC. Until now everything i working as expected since the reinstall.

Thanks everybody for your time and great support.

br
Stefan
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 24,466 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stefan,

Glad you worked around the problem, Good luck further on!

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of TM_Ron

TM_Ron

• 962 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello @FDSteve,

Thank you for the update with this case and it is good to know that the issue was resolved already.

If ever you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to post here and we will be more than willing to assist you on that.

Hi Tom,

Again, thank you for all the help with this case.

We appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day!

(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.