Latest Firefox62.0 disables Trend Micro toolbar in browser as of Sept 5 2018

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Just updated to latest Firefox version 62.0 and it disabled the Trend Micro toolbar. I expect you will be hearing from others about this breakage and incompatibility.  I am assuming this means my Trend Micro is not protecting me when I am web browsing... ? ? ?
Photo of snpmarq

snpmarq

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of dave-h

dave-h

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Yes, I'm getting the same problem!

You would think that Trend would have known about this in advance and would have done something about it before Firefox 62 was rolled out!
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 4,400 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi, 

Have you tried enabling the toolbar again? If so, did you encounter any error? If not yet, please follow the instructions below to re-enable it: 

Enabling the Trend Micro Toolbar in Mozilla Firefox

Let us know how it goes. 

^X
Photo of snpmarq

snpmarq

Yes... when I tried to enable the TM Toolbar it complained and said that the TM add on, aka the Toolbar, was using the 'Legacy' code and that version 62 doesn't work with 'Legacy' addons - they then point to a developers page where they mention some kind of different API or whatever.   They also offer some 'replacement' addons - none of which are Trend Micro related and are of no use to TM users ;)
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Hi snpmarq

Can you please send us a screenshot of that error? I'd like our team to look into this and screenshots and any other details you could provide will assist us. 

^X
Photo of snpmarq

snpmarq

If you are running the latest version of TM and then update to the vers 62 of Firefox, it comes up with a message telling you that they have disabled the TM Toolbar... with that comment regarding 'Legacy' versus the currently and only approved API interface.

Once Firefox nuked the TM Toolbar stuff it does not appear anywhere else ( ie no disabled page listing items that have been disabled ).

When you fire up the latest version of TM and go to the 'settings' option, you can enable and disable the 'Toolbar' option all you want, but it will not cause the Toolbar to activate - and nor does the Firefox give any subsequent apology or explanation for why the Toolbar is disabled.  Hence there is nothing to screen capture to show you.

One thing I did notice is that when Firefox 62 disabled the TM Toolbar, the overall speed and response to page request SLOWED DOWNED noticeably.  It almost felt like there might be some TM remnant conflicting slightly with the Firefox due to it being disabled - but somehow clinging on to the Firefox 62.  Not sure if that is an adequate explanation of how it feels...
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Thank you so much for these details. I'll get back to you once I have an update. 
Photo of snpmarq

snpmarq

From what Firefox posted, in reference to this problem, it would appear that our Trend Micro Tool Bar was operating with 'Legacy' code ( their phrase )   Firefox then goes on to say that developers of kaput addons were suppose to have migrated to some API interface or something...

Hopefully TM staff check out this problem and get a fix for this problem... and it would be nice to know if this non-compatibility with Firefox 62 has left our browsers vulnerable while surfing the net
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 3,800 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Our team is now looking into this, snpmarq. I'll keep you posted, don't worry. Also, even though the toolbar is temporary missing, you are still protected from online threats, it's just that there will be no website ratings for the meantime. 
Photo of dave-h

dave-h

Good to know you're on it! I can only assume that this has taken Trend by surprise that the Toolbar is suddenly incompatible with Firefox, which is a bit strange!
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Hi dave-h,

Yes, we're on it and it will speed us up if you could provide us screenshots or any details of the error that you've encountered if any. 
Photo of dave-h

dave-h

How do I add a screenshot? I can't see any option to do so.
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Just click on Write a Comment field and you should see this: 

Photo of dave-h

dave-h

Thanks! I was actually trying to do it on my old XP computer using Firefox 52 ESR, and it wasn't showing that at all for some reason!
I'm now looking on Firefox 62 on Windows 10 and it's fine.
@ahsans has already posted pretty much the same, but here's my two anyway.

Photo of ahsans

ahsans

• 2,574 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I got it too. Here is the screenshot

Photo of Max Slo

Max Slo, Champion

• 8,104 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
-I'm not a Trend Micro representative-

Hello All,

it seems to be an issue code with last Firefox release. 
Mozilla will fix it soon, I think. 
There are a lot of add-ons that are not working properly updating the browser to 62.

Check if you are using at least release 62.0b7

For the moment I think 32bit version of the browser may temporarily solve, cause usually this kind of issue are 64bit version related.  Is it possible to use? I do not use FF.

Again, let me to suggest to use another browser or revert back to previous Firefox version waiting fixing the issue. 
(Edited)
Photo of dave-h

dave-h

I have a nasty feeling this is an intentional change by Mozilla, which has prevented some legacy add-ons from working as they probably use APIs which have now been removed for security reasons.
They will expect the add-on authors to fix that, and they won't!
I'm seeing the problem on the release version of 62.0 32 bit on Windows 8.1 32 bit, so it's not a 64 bit issue.

(Edited)
Photo of Max Slo

Max Slo, Champion

• 8,092 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
OK thanks. 

Photo of alan

alan

• 60 Points
I am afraid it is a 64 bit issue as well
Photo of Max Slo

Max Slo, Champion

-I'm not a Trend Micro representative-

OK guys, 
who want to take a look on what happens using 63 beta? 
Dave? XD

Photo of Max Slo

Max Slo, Champion

Photo of snpmarq

snpmarq

Agreed... this describes EXACTLY what happened and why TM was impacted by this on Firefox 62...   definitely required reading for the TM staff assigned to looking in to this glitch...

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/02/22/removing-support-unpacked-extensions/

(Edited)
Photo of dave-h

dave-h

As I thought, something that the developers at Trend should have been well aware of so they could address it before Firefox 62 was rolled out!
Photo of az.tunac

az.tunac

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Firefox 62 incompatibility.

Hello, Firefox just updated to the version 62 and it has aytomatically disabled TM plugin for incompatibility issues. Is there something to do or to install to fix this problem?
Tks
Firefox 62 has disabled the extension because it does not follow the standards put out during Firefox 57 and later. You cannot re-enable the extension because it is literally unable to hook into Firefox. I am running Windows 10 Build 17744.1003 and I can confirm that there is no user-end remedy for this.

Trend Micro simply has to decompile and recompile the extension so that it is compliant.
More on this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

It says the extension is unsigned. Which is plausible, because it is installed as a sideload when you install TMTS. Trend Micro simply needs to make the extension available the same way they did for Chrome users who got the same message two years ago.

Photo of hostecknet

hostecknet

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Firefox Toolbar not working with the latest version of Firefox.

For your information & Immediate Action
Photo of lukas

lukas

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled updated firefox (Quantum 62.0 64-bit) today and it disabled my trend micro toolb....

On windows 10
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Hi everyone, 

Our team was able to identify what caused this issue and has now come up with a solution. To solve this, please follow the instructions in this link: 

[Hotfix] "Trend Micro Toolbar could not be verified..." error message appears on your Mozilla Firefox settings

For additional help, let us know. 

^X
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 21,384 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi TM_X

Worked, also the speed is normal again!!
Does this hot-fix come also with a update of TM?
Or must everybody do the "Hot-Fix" ?
If so put the hot-fix on the Home page of this site.

Kind regards,
Tom

Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Hi Tom, 

No, this hotfix only addressed the Firefox issue. :)
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 21,384 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi X,

What i mend is that everybody use Firefox, must do  this fix or is it done with the TM update also?

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of snpmarq

snpmarq

Just installed the Fix and things appear to be functioning properly.  The one step folks will need to definitely follow is #8 - ie once you go through the steps and properly install the 'Fix', be sure to fire up your Mozilla and go to the Options, AddOns, Extensions and enable the Trend Micro Toolbar there.  Suffice to say things appear to be resolved with this Fix.   Many thanks...

Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Great! Thanks for confirming. :)
Photo of danmoone

danmoone

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Appears to be working fine.  Did not have to execute step 7, Enable the Trend Micro Toolbar on your Mozilla Firefox web browser.  This appears to have been done automatically after installing patch, rebooting, and restarting Firefox.

Photo of lukas

lukas

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
thank you all, problem fixed, Lukas
Photo of dave-h

dave-h

Yes thanks for the quick fix, although I still have to say that this issue should have been anticipated and addressed with a program update before it actually caused a problem!
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Hi dave-h

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. And believe me, what you're suggesting is exactly what we want. However, Firefox or any other browser for that matter, do not submit a Beta build to us for us to check. So after they've released the official build, that's when we take action if there are incompatibility issues. 

^X
Photo of dave-h

dave-h

I always imagined that extension makers and browser makers (at least the major players) were in constant contact, especially where security issues were concerned. Obviously not, but I was very impressed how quickly a fix was rolled out in this case! I was worried it was a major issue that would take a very long time to resolve! Thanks.
Photo of MICHAEL.G.MILLS

MICHAEL.G.MILLS

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Firefox disables Trend Micro Toolbar for lack of verification..

Firefox has disabled the add-in for Trend Micro Toolbar because Trend Micro (version 12.0) could not be verified. 
I am running the Windows 10 Pro, with the 64 bit version of Firefox 62. My PC is a Dell Vostro 470.
I suggest that Trend Micro update itself so that the popular Firefox browser can do the necessary updating.  Thanks.   inconvenienced

The fix works.

Customers should understand that TMTS and the extension are separate programs, and breaks like this are going to be more common as the means to hack a person or organization's computers become more complex and severe.

Browser and OS Updates are necessary and sometimes these things happen.
Given this only occurred a week ago, I'd say TM's response time is more than acceptable.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/410426297731383297/488866796036685834/trend-micro-extension...