Keep getting "Trend Micro Antivirus has blocked these websites" notifications.

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
Today I am suddenly getting repeating notifications of the same website (or similar sites) being blocked. The pop-up says "Trend Micro Antivirus has blocked these websites" and keeps showing addresses with the same domain.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the "Unsafe Websites Found" log. Here are my specs:
Macbook Air (early 2015)
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2
TM Antivirus 9.0.1351

Please help me find a solution to stop the pop-ups. Note: they appear to occur when I move or delete emails within Mac Mail.

Thanks.

Photo of adamsullnyc

adamsullnyc

• 70 Points

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of TM_Iya

TM_Iya, Employee

• 3,166 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi adamsullnyc

It's possible that you encounter an adware. The possible instance for this is if you have recently downloaded an application/program or email and you allow permission for it to be installed.

Can you please check the following 4 folder locations and see if there are unfamiliar apps on it:

/Library/LaunchAgents/
~/Library/LaunchAgents/
/Library/LaunchDaemons/
~/Library/LaunchDaemons/ 

To check the folder locations above, please follow these steps below:

1. Look for the "Go" option from your menu bar located on the upper left corner of your Mac.
2. Click the "Go" option and look for "Go to folder". 
3. A small window should come up and you can try their the folder location above.

Check if you can see any recent downloads of apps that you are not familiar with and let us know what you can see. You may send a screenshot of it if possible.

Try to also check the Applications folder, to access that, Go to the Finder by clicking the Finder icon in the Dock (it's usually the first icon on the left side of the Dock), or by clicking in a blank area of the Desktop. From the Finder's Go menu, select Applications.

Last thing, can you check the extensions of your safari/chrome browser if you can see an unfamiliar apps or toolbars on it?

Thank you.

Awaiting your response.

~Iya
Photo of paulacathreen

paulacathreen

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same problem. 
Photo of paulacathreen

paulacathreen

Should I send you screenshots?
Photo of paulacathreen

paulacathreen

It only started happening after I did a scan today.
Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Employee

• 11,326 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi paulacathreen,

Sorry to hear about that.

Please try to check the affected browser if there are browser extension or add-ons that you don't use or do not know about and please remove it if necessary.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Pat
Photo of paulacathreen

paulacathreen

Hi Pat, 

Thanks, but I realised that I had changed the web threat protection in TM to high and when I changed it back to normal this stopped.

However, I have had another issue for a while which I'd like to pass by you. I have the TM Maximum Security version but I keep getting popup sites....way too often. One in particular with 'peegh' in the address. I thought the max version wouldn't allow this? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Paula
Photo of TM_Kree

TM_Kree, Official Rep

• 2,202 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi  paulacathreen,

Some pop-ups are part of a free program that you download on your computer or adware installed in your browser. Here's how you can remove adware from web browsers.

If it's asking you to call a number possible that it is a Tech Support Scam. Here's a Tech Support Scam FAQ.

Regards,
^Kree