Just ran a scan, with a message that a spyware threat eas "detected." Does that mean it was removed? Please let me know and ease my mind!

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
Just ran a scan, with a message that a spyware threat was "detected." Does that mean it was removed? Please let me know and ease my mind! Thanks!
Photo of rickslunaker

rickslunaker

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of TM_Cha

TM_Cha, Employee

• 2,014 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi rickslunaker!

Can you provide the name of the spyware detected on your device? 

Have you recently downloaded or installed any program on your computer? It is possible that you have a Potentially Unwanted Application which is usually installed unknowingly by users when visiting malicious websites. For more info on removing the program, you may visit these links: Potentially Unwanted Application - Definition and Uninstalling Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA).

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

~Cha
Photo of rickslunaker

rickslunaker

thanks for the reply.  Here's the message listed:  "C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\AppMaster\AppMaster.exe"
Don't know if that is the name or not; looks like a notation of a location.  Haven't knowingly downloaded anything.  I try not to click unless I know what I'm doing.  Famous last words...

I will visit the sites you recommended.  How do I find out the name of the spyware?  Also, when the program says that spyware was "detected" does that mean it was deleted?  Thanks for your help.
Photo of TM_Reine

TM_Reine, Employee

• 2,374 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi rickslunaker,

Based on the detection, the name of the program is AppMaster. Since the threat is mentioned as detected it needs to be removed manually. I would suggest trying to uninstall it via the control panel as mentioned in this guide Uninstalling Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA)

I checked on your subscription and I'm seeing that you still haven't upgraded to the latest version. You may follow this guide in doing so:

Upgrading Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security to the latest version

- Reine
Photo of rickslunaker

rickslunaker

Thanks for the message.  I clicked, in Settings, the "automatically delete PUA apps" box and re-ran a scan ; which identified three more and said it had removed all four of them.  One was another type of AppMaster and two were PdfPro100.ink entries.  Hope they weren't vital...  They were all ID'd as Spyware. If you run the manual remove program how do you ID the material to remove.  Do you think its needed now that the auto scan has run?  I will run the upgrade program now.  Thanks, again.
Photo of TM_Reine

TM_Reine, Employee

• 2,374 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi rickslunaker,

That's great to know you had followed the suggested settings to enable on the Trend Micro program. It was not removed previously since the setting "Automatically delete potentially unwanted applications" was disabled, the program detects PUA's if it matches on the list we have on our database. I would still recommended enabling this setting as an added protection on your computer. 

Let us know if you have any more questions in mind. 

- Reine
(Edited)