I've started getting on-screen prompts from Windows Defender

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hello I've started getting on-screen prompts from Windows Defender... Potentially harmful software detected Turn on windows firewall Virus protection Found some malware Trend is not reporting any issues Did full scan with trend - no issues Should I be concerned??? Should I turn-on windows firewall in addition to trend??? Regards Chris
Photo of mail

mail

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of woodartisan55

woodartisan55, Champion

• 7,876 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Here's an answer previously posted for the same question:

Two anti virus can conflict each other and make your computer slow. It's never advised to run two anti virus on the same machine.
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1061023.aspx

Photo of Jhja

Jhja

• 2,658 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Turn off Windows Defender as woodartisan55 said and turn on windows Firewall. Trend Micro has no firewall as I know.
(Edited)
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

• 15,740 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi @woodartisan55,@Jhja, thanks for always helping us in our Community!

Hi Chris, welcome to Trend Micro Community! 

As a matter of fact, Windows Defender will be disabled automatically when installing Trend Micro Security software. This default change is to avoid conflict since Windows Defender is a Microsoft's built-in anti-virus protection and having more than one anti-virus program usually causes a conflict. So, as @woodartisan55 and @Jhja mentioned, it's not advised to run two antivirus programs on the same machine.

For your firewall question, Trend Micro Security does not have a firewall feature. But you can refer to the Microsoft support page below to enable your Microsoft Firewall.
Turn Windows Firewall on or off

For the "Potentially harmful software detected" message you've got, as long as the Trend Micro program is running, then you should be protected from Malware. We assume that this message might be due to background internet traffic from programs that you've installed unknowingly. 

These programs, commonly called potentially unwanted applications (PUA), are typically bundled with other freeware, and installed as an option most people do not uncheck during installation. Please try the following online solution doc to check and remove any PUAs on your computer first:
Uninstalling Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA)

Some common PUAs are: SlimCleaner Plus, iLivid, Inbox Toolbar, MySearch, Search-Results Toolbar, TuneUp Utilities, and many others. If you found at least one PUA on your PC, it is likely that you have other PUAs installed. 

Please let me know if you have more concerns or questions by replying here. Thank you.

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of mail

mail

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Guys! Your advice was actioned. All issues now resolved!
Photo of TM_L

TM_L, Official Rep

• 15,740 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi @mail, Thanks for your reply!

It's so nice to hear that everything is back to normal and to know that we were able to help! Please do not hesitate to ask questions or report product issues in the community in the future. Thanks!

@woodartisan55,@Jhja, Thanks again!! :)