I received an "Internet Security Alert! Code: 055BCCAC9FEC" telling me to call Windows Technical Support at 866-884-4602

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • In Progress
I received an "Internet Security Alert! Code: 055BCCAC9FEC" telling me to call Windows Technical Support at 866-884-4602. I've received this message twice on my new laptop and I am not sure what to do. When I run your scan you tell me everything is all clear on my computer. Please advise.
Photo of smjohns18

smjohns18

• 72 Points

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of erza

erza, Official Rep

• 3,170 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi smjohns18,

Welcome to Trend Community.

Sounds like a Tech Support Scam! Here are some information about scams like that: https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security-2017/1113749.asp...

How to respond:
- Search online about the phone number you will see in a pop-up (quick search of 866-884-4602 shows its definitely not Windows Technical Support Number)
- When you receive a random phone call, hang up if you are uncertain if it is from Trend Micro or Microsoft Technical Support
- Do not allow anyone to take control of your PC
- Never provide credit card or any financial information to anyone unless you are sure you are talking to the official Tech Support of the company 

Stay alert!

^erza
Photo of TM_Nick

TM_Nick

• 470 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That is called the Tech Support Scam. Yes you are correct, when you do a scan it will not show up. However we have feature detecting Tech Support Scam numbers for you to be aware that it is a scam. That feature might be off.

Open your Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit and check the setting as shown below:

You may also try to reset the browser that you are using. After resetting the browser, close it and then reopen and check if you will still have the same message.

Regards,

Nick

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.