How do you stop authomatic upgrade to 2017?

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
I've reloaded my operating system several times due to this issue. It's very frustrating. I have the 2016 version running on my Windows Vista Ultimate machine. 2016 worked fine. At some point, I notice Trend starts updating the application and then a popup states I must approve the upgrade to the latest version. I approve it and the program installs 100% and then throws an error that the installation could not complete successfully. I've tried several of the fixes and non has worked. After that, I'm left with absolutely no installed antivirus running (not even 2016). If I reload the PC and disallow the upgrade, it also removes the Trend application and I have to start all over again. Is there an option to NOT upgrade to 2017? I can't believe a one year old app has to be completely thrown away each year. Suggestions?
Photo of joeg

joeg

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of TM_Dianne

TM_Dianne, Employee

• 832 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi @joeg and welcome to Trend Micro Community!

Thank you for posting here. We understand that you do not like the force upgrade of Trend Micro program as the automatic upgrade to the latest version did not proceed properly. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Please know that there is no way to disable the force upgrade of Trend Micro software. It is for us to ensure that you have the latest protection and prevent product issues.

Also, upon checking, your program was originally purchased from Best Buy. If you have any more concern, please contact the correct support channel (Best Buy Geek Squad) to further assist you. Here's their contact number: 1 800 433 5778.

Hope this helps. Thank you and have a great day!

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of joeg

joeg

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I restored my computer, then cleaned the registry, program files and program data and all system and hidden folders of your product. I went into DOS and had to force delete all the Trend install folders (took a LONG time). I finally got it done. Had to use msconfig to change to a diagnostic startup/boot. Okay, so now I downloaded the 2017 version (build 11 32-bit) of the product from your web site. The serial # didn't work (since it came from the Geek Squad) but the 2017 trial installed successfully. So I uninstalled the trial and downloaded the Geek Squad version (build 11 full) and you can see the error msg above. Why? It's an issue with the product. Any help? I can go ahead and buy direct from you since your version installed but I already have paid from Geek Squad. I'd like a technical answer to this if possible.
Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 5,396 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi @joeg thank you so much for providing these updates!

It is indeed sad to hear that you are getting this installation incomplete error code when you tried to install the latest version of Trend Micro Security on your computer. We'd like to apologize for whatever inconvenience this has caused you, we understand that you are a very busy person.

For this error that you encountered, we'll need to perform clean reinstall for the Trend Micro Security Software on your computer. Please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Uninstall the Trend Micro Security Software using the Diagnostic Toolkit
              a.    Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run program
              b.    On the open field, type: supporttool.exe
              c.    Click OK
              d.    Once the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit is open, go to (C) Uninstall and then click on 1. Uninstall Software

Step 2: Run the Trend Micro Remnant File Remover Tool
              Please click on this link to download the tool.

Step 3: Install the Trend Micro Internet Security Software
              Please click on this link to download the installer.

We hope that these steps will help you resolve the issue. If ever you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Trend Micro Home Users Community
(Edited)