High CPU and Disk activity by Trend Micro Anti-Malware Solution Platform

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Hi,
Well, the title describes my problem: High CPU and Disk activity by Trend Micro Anti-Malware Solution Platform
Half the world has this problem as it seems when i'm searching on the internet. I've tried all given advice, checked for conflicting software, uninstalled and re-installed Trend Micro. Turned off Microsoft OneDrive. 
I would like to know how to properly diagnose this problem. I'm tired of "trying" things to fix it. I'm a software engineer by proffesion and know a thing or two about computers.
This is my last shot for fixing this problem. If not, i will cancel my subscrition. Unfortunately i just payed for another year... 
Hope someone can help me with diagnosing instead of given advice "trying" stuff. (because i did it all :))
With regards,
Pascal Loonen
Photo of ploonen

ploonen

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 24,476 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi chris.lebrese

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!
Can you stop the other proces:
qemu-system-i386.exeLook here:
https://www.file.net/process/qemu-system-i386.exe.html
and see of the TM process goes to a normal hight of:
Here from you,
Kind regards,Tom
(Edited)
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Tom,

Thanks, I know what qemu is. It's an Android emulator I'm running alongside Android Studio.

TM eventually settles down to ~ 5% on quitting the emulator but then any CPU intensive process seems to bring it back up to the 30% mark. There's very little disk access an no network access so I can't see why it needs to suck up so many CPU cycles.

This is really crippling my system. 

Cheers,  Chris
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi chris.lebrese

Can you put both program's in the exception list?

Configuring the Exception List of Trend Micro Security software:
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1059964.aspx?_ga=1.140400243.1592...
and see that helps.
Kind regards,Tom
(Edited)
Photo of TM_Malik

TM_Malik

• 9,374 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi, Tom! Thank you for your advise to add both programs on exception list. :)

Hi, chris.lebrese. Can we also check the settings of your emulator to see how much paging file size is set (or RAM, or how many cores of your CPU is being used, etc)...is that possible? Moreover, please compare the performance of your PC while Trend Micro program is temporarily disabled and the emulator is open.

Here's how can you temporarily disable the Trend Micro program:
  • Open Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit
  • Go to Uninstall tab
  • Click Stop All Components
Conversely, you can then re-enable the program by clicking on Start All Components.

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks! :)
(Edited)
Photo of Chris

Chris

Hi TM_Malik,

Disabling TM MS makes a huge difference in the performance of my Laptop overall. The emulator hovers at around 12 - 25% and AS build speeds are in the order of 2x faster.

Re enabling TM MS and it has spiked to 30% and consistently hovering above 20% when performing simple tasks such as browsing the web (google chrome).

Its also high enough that my CPU can't throttle back and is constantly up around 2 GHz mark. So increasing battery usage considerably.

After previously uninstalling and now disabling and seeing better performance without TM MS, and for your Engineers to state this behavior is normal, I'm inclined to cancel my subscription and look elsewhere.

Tom, although I can add these programs to my exclusions list, I would have to add a whole lot more as I've seen the behavior when playing games and other tasks.

Regards,
   Chris
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi Chris
Hi Chris, if i try to help i go with them so installed your program and TM did the same with mine version, but after i put it in the exception list the problem was over! About games, i never had any problems, play WOT by my self and i got 3 grandsons and they play a lot all kind of games (mostly race) and no problems. But i run a  QuadCore Intel Core i7-6700K, 4000 MHz (40 x 100), GeForce GTX 1060 3GB  (3 GB) 16GB DDR4.So if i was you i use the exception list and stay safe that is what TM does for me since Win 98!Nice program, i think to pickup my programmers skills again and write a program for my phone!

Kind regards,
Tom
(Edited)
Photo of bchandler02

bchandler02

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same issue here as well. Have already tried un/reinstall, excluded OneDrive folder, and all other items suggested above. This is on an i5-5300u laptop with 16gb ram and SSD, and almost nothing installed on top of Win10.. very bare system software wise. 

I'm about ready to dump trend after many years if this isn't fixed soon.. my subscription is up in October. 

Trend - any solution??
Photo of TM_Phebs

TM_Phebs, Employee

• 2,486 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Collect private information

Please reference the new conversation here: High CPU and Disk activity by Trend Micro
Photo of Chris

Chris

Hi All,

I've excluded that many programs in the hopes of getting this to work, that it no longer serves as an anti-virus / anti-malware and more just a hindrance to everyday tasks. Dropbox, google drive, outlook, android studio. As soon as I go to do anything, the usage spikes to 40 - 50% and I have no choice but to disable the protection. If its not the Trend Micro Anti-Malware Solution Platform service taking up all resources, its the Platinum Host Service doing the same thing (both come from TM MS).

I've never had a product that you are asked by support to uninstall so many times in the hopes of fixing it. I've re-installed following the instructions in this post, customer support reps to try and fix this issue. I've re-installed for separate issue of never ending updates on multiple PCs. All the while nothing changes.

Sadly I have 1.6 years of my subscription left (6 PCs, 2 years), but I think I might have to write it off and go elsewhere.

Cheers,
Chris
Photo of TM_Phebs

TM_Phebs, Employee

• 2,486 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Collect private information

Please reference the new conversation here: High CPU Usage Of Trend Micro Program
Photo of Salty Dog

Salty Dog

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
When clicking your link to the new conversation, I receive a message that says:

"Sorry! You don't have access to the content you requested. If you think you should have access, please contact the administrator of the community."

How do I get access to the new conversation?
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 23,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Salty Dog

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!
I suggest to do a clean install:
I quote a TM Employee: 
1. Press Windows + R, then type in "supporttool". Choose yes when the UAC prompts. 
2. In the Diagnostic Toolkit window, go to the Uninstall tab. Click Uninstall Software. 
    Note: Do the Restart after you complete the steps until step 4. 
3. Download the Remnant File Remover through the link below. Right click on the downloaded file and run it as administrator.

Remnant File Remover Tool

4. Download the Permission Tool through the link below and run it as administartor.

Trend Micro Permission Tool

5. Restart the computer. 

After that, you may already try installing the program. You may refer to the link below.

Installing Trend Micro Security

Hope tis will do the trick.

Kind regards, 
Tom
(Edited)
Photo of Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Thanks for your attempt to help, Tom, but my question was (and still is) how can the new conversation referenced by the TM employees be accessed?  

https://en.community.trendmicro.com/tm_en/topics/high-cpu-usage-of-trend-micro-program

When clicking link to the new conversation, I receive a message that says:

"Sorry! You don't have access to the content you requested. If you think you should have access, please contact the administrator of the community."

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 23,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Salty Dog
    I can't to, so did you try all the things i suggested?  
    Here from you.   
    Kind regards,  
    Tom
    (Edited)
    Photo of Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Yes, Trend Micro (TM) operated normally for several days and has now reverted back to being a resource hog; both CPU and disk.  TM occupying ~27 MB/s as I write this message.
    Photo of larry wascak

larry wascak

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    The link for TREND MICRO PERMISSION TOOL takes me to a 404 page. And I too am getting tired of doing this process every 2 days or so.

lmwascak@gmail.com
    Photo of TM_Yanna

TM_Yanna, Employee

• 1,250 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
    Hi larry wascak,

Here is another link for the Permission Tool, if you still need it:

Photo of bchandler02

bchandler02

Too many people having this problem, no solution on the radar. Been a good run with Trend but looks like it is time to dump them. 
    Photo of Chris

Chris

Just been on the phone to support for 1.5 hrs trying to solve this issue. I can say I'm not impressed with the level of support. First using TM remote tool (logmein) to control my PC didn't work. Then using zoom, then tomorrow (some time Saturday) it will be team viewer to transfer some files to monitor the situation.

The support person went through all the programs I had excluded and the problem was still there.

Trend seems to randomly spike in usage and they can't narrow down what module is causing it. On top of that when Platinum Services Module (which they couldn't explain what its for) kicks in, the PC is unusable.

Apparently a recent update was meant to fix the issue, but mine has been updated and is still having issues.

To top it off, yesterday TM MS decided to pop up every 30 minutes with "Starting your protection" in the system tray.

Looks like my only choice is to get a refund from the store and uninstall it off my 5 PCs.
    (Edited)
    Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi Chris

Can you tell me did you have really 5 PCs that have the same problem???
    Can't imagine because it must be a real big problem, i run it on 5 different computers and  non of them has the problem! On 1 i run a Beta at the moment without any problems.
    So the problem must be PC related.
    If i have problems with Beta programs testing and the program's give problems i use after i uninstall the program "Registrar Registry Manager" free home edition to search for all trendmicro / trend micro items and wipe them out, also on the system drive all of the Trend Micro items. Then all the .tmp files that MS let you. Then i do a fresh  install and a reboot to see the things are working well.  
    Hope i here from you.   
    Kind regards,  
    Tom
    (Edited)
    Photo of Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Can one of the TM moderators/staff provide an accessible link to the new conversation?

When clicking the link to the new conversation, I receive a message that says:

(Edited)
    Photo of Chris

Chris

Hi Tom,

I have 2 machines that I frequently use. My main desktop isn't experiencing this issue, but is suffering from a never ending update of TM MS. My laptop which i use on the road is bogged down with this problem. The other three licences are on machines that are barely used so I can't say if this problem exhibits on them or not.

Just because I don't have this problem on other PCs does not excuse that this IS a problem on my laptop and a problem seen by many on this thread.

It's great that you do fresh installs of Betas etc and they work for you. I bought the product expecting it to work out of the box! Having to uninstall, reinstall, reformat, start from scratch, install betas to get things to work is unacceptable for any software.
    Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi Chris

Just a example, my whole PC slow down after every update of Windows,I had this problem for 6 months a while ago, the update also updated  a driver a important won, the AHCI driver (all the drives using it) first it was the standard AHCI 0.1 driver, no problems, but the update change it to "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"  and the system slow down, it is the correct driver i got the C230 Chipset. So i wrote a ticket to Intel and they start investigate! No solution, every time i change the driver back to Standard AHCI controler! I ask every time if they can find something but it looks-like i was the only won. So after 6 months there was a MS update so after that i find out no slowdown, so i toke a look at the driver and it was a updated version of "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" and this update was working well!  So what i mean is it can be that on your Laptop just won driver is conflicting with TM, so a other question is do you update personally the drivers, is there running a driver update program from the manufactory of your laptop or other programs from the manufactory running on the background?Sorry i dont give up easy to find out what went wrong, so i hope to get your laptop to run smoothly ;)   
     Kind regards,
    Tom
    (Edited)
    Photo of larry wascak

larry wascak

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    Like clockwork... every 2 days I have to uninstall and reinstall Trend... better get this fixed soon or I'm gone and i've been using trend for over 8 years and install it on many computers yearly for friends... NO MORE if not fixed.
    Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 4,036 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
    For escalation

Please reference the new conversation here: Slow Computer Performance
    Photo of bchandler02

bchandler02

Why do you keep moving it to a new thread? Managing your metrics so you can "Close" them on time? QUIT KICKING THE CAN DOWN THE ROAD AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

I can't even access your new thread. Trend product and support has become a JOKE. 
    (Edited)
    Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Hi bchandler02

It's not what you think. We are creating a new private thread for such cases because we are asking for customer's personal information such as contact details, so it's normal that you are not seeing them. Just in case you want to continue with the troubleshooting that we offered before, please get back to us. 

^X
    Photo of taniapaulaust

taniapaulaust

• 70 Points
    miserably unhappy with this product. HOURS wasted every week while my staff and I uninstall and reinstall your product.  Looking elsewhere.
    Photo of TM_Kaye

TM_Kaye, Employee

• 3,274 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
    Hi taniapaulaust,

Sorry to hear that you are encountering this issue. 

It seems that you already contacted our phone support hotline. Kindly refer to the Service Request on your email for any updates on the issue. 

Regards,
    Kaye
    Photo of devaulr

devaulr

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    I've had TM for about 5 years or more.  On this laptop it's been there on Win 7 since Win 7 came out.  Never had a performance problem in all that time and then in the last month it's been painful.  What did TM do about 6 months or less ago that crippled their software.

I am a developer and at this point I am going to need to leave this as it is not sustainable to lose hours waiting for programs in folders that are excluded to load because coreServiceShell and PtSvcHost are running.

I don't want to hear about uninstall and reinstall, I want to hear that you have a fix for your problem.  If not then I be forced to join others and leave before the end of my subscription.
    Photo of john

john

• 62 Points
    I have experienced exactly the same problem as that described above.  It is clear from the discussion that uninstall and reinstall is useless.  As per the last comment we need to hear 'you have a fix for the problem. If not then I will be forced to join others and leave before the end of my subscription'
    Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

Hi john

Possibly, this is caused by the computer environment. To look closely into this and to provide you a solution, can we please get the following info?
    1. Other security software installed or that were installed on your computer 
    2. Processor, installed physical memory, total physical memory, available physical memory, total virtual memory and available virtual memory of the computer. (Run msinfo32 to get these details)
    3. Screenshot of your Task Manager showing the running processes sorted from highest to lowest
    If you'd like, I can also arrange a member of our team to contact you to get these details ourselves. 

Hope to get a response from you. 

^X
    Photo of stanheer

stanheer

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    I have uninstalled for the last time. I'm sure it is an issue related to my Win 7 desktop computer, as I have a Win 7 laptop and a Win 10 laptop, both without the issue. But, I don't have the skill to figure what is different. I am moving on with a new vendor.
    Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 21,110 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Stan,

Did you follow this procedure?

I quote a TM Employee: 
    1. Press Windows + R, then type in "supporttool". Choose yes when the UAC prompts. 
    2. In the Diagnostic Toolkit window, go to the Uninstall tab. Click Uninstall Software. 
        Note: Do the Restart after you complete the steps until step 4. 
    3. Download the Remnant File Remover through the link below. Right click on the downloaded file and run it as administrator.

Remnant File Remover Tool

4. Download the Permission Tool through the link below and run it as administartor.

5. Restart the computer. 

After that, you may already try installing the program. You may refer to the link below.

Installing Trend Micro Security

Hope tis will do the trick.

Kind regards, 
    Tom

Photo of stanheer

stanheer

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    >>>"... Did you follow this procedure?"
    Yes, multiple times.
    Thanks for trying to help, but  this "solution" has been quoted a gazillion times here, so why the repetition?
    Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 21,110 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Hi

Ok than if you want follow my procedure:
    After uninstall TM and reboot, do a search on your PC.
    Search for "Trendmicro"and a second for "Trend micro"
    Delete all items.
    Download here:
    Registrar Registry Manager 8.04
    http://www.resplendence.com/downloads
    After installing open the home version.
    Make a reg backup, then in search mode look for:
    "Trendmicro"and delete all items.
    a second "Trend micro" and delete all items.
    Select the whole column and click-on the red cross left under
    Then reboot.
    Now do a new install.
    Here a screenshot from the search, but this is with TM installed.

Hope this will work for you.
    This works for me, not only for TM, but use it always to get rid of programs that give any trouble with uninstall!

Kind regards,
    Tom

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.