Hi Internet Explorer v11 not working since upgrading to 2018

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Solved
Internet Explorer v11 not working since upgrading to Maximum security v 2018.

OS = Windows 7 64 bit
Photo of cjirving

cjirving

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of TM_JustineM

TM_JustineM, Employee

• 3,774 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hello cjirving and welcome to the community.

Apologies if you are experiencing issues with our program and for the late reply. May I know if there is any message that you get when you run the Internet Explorer? Also what kind of behaviors do you encounter when using the Internet Explorer? In addition, please try to manually update your Trend Micro program and check, you can do this by opening the program and clicking the "latest protection" in blue. If the issues still persist you can restart the components of the Trend Micro program, you can do this by clicking on this link.

Disabling or enabling your Trend Micro Security software

I hope this helps, we will wait for your reply.

Thank you and have a great week!

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of cjirving

cjirving

Initially i received a message saying IE had encountered a problem and had to close. Now it just does not open.

I have tried disabling all add-ons, tool bars and accelerators etc as suggested by Microsoft but this has not cured the problem.

All components are up to date.

IE only works when Maximum security is disabled
Photo of TM_Jabi

TM_Jabi, Employee

• 7,040 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello cjirving.

Thank you for your prompt response. 

Here's what are we going to try to resolve the issue.

We are going to uninstall and reinstall the Trend Micro program on your machine. We will be using a repacked build for this installation, just follow the steps below: 

1. Uninstall Trend Micro program using Diagnostic Toolkit. 
  • Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard at the same time and then type supporttool.exe.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Click on (1) Uninstall Software.
  • Wait for it to finish then restart your computer.
2. Download, Install and Activate Trend Micro Maximum Security 2018 (Repacked Build).
  • Click here to download the installer file. 
  • To see more detailed steps on how to install the program, click here
Note: You can also try to check if your operating system have pending updates. 

I hope this helps. Please let us know of any updates as soon as possible. 

Thank and have a great week! 

Photo of cjirving

cjirving

Hi 

I have completed all the above tasks, but unfortunately Internet Explorer is still not working. It will open a tab but says it has experienced an unexpected problem and needs to close.

Is there anyway I can go back to v11 2017 and stop an automated update to 2018 while this issue (which I see others are experiencing) is resolved.
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 17,408 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi cjirving,

Can you go to MS Configure window/Windows programs and components and put EI11 off, then restart the computer, then repeat it but this time you put it on en restart.
Hope this will solve the problem.

Kind regards,
Tom
Photo of TM_Victor

TM_Victor, Employee

• 4,724 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi cjirving,

Would you mind trying this procedure below for your concern?

1. Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard at the same time and then type supporttool.exe.
2. On the third tab for (C)Uninstall, click on the Stop All Components button.
3. Download and run this tool.
4. Go back to the diagnostic toolkit again and click on the Start All Components button.

Try to use the web browser to check if the issue is resolved.

I hope this helps. Please let us know of any updates as soon as possible. 

Photo of cjirving

cjirving

I am afraid after carrying out these tasks and applying the hot fix IE is still closing automatically.

I really would like to go back to v11 2017 until this issue is resolved
Photo of TM_Kiko

TM_Kiko, Employee

• 9,768 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello cjirving! Sorry for the delayed response.

We understand that you wish to have the version of your Trend Micro program reverted back to the 2017 Version (Version 11). That is one option that you have if you would see it fit.

Click on this link to download the installer file suitable for your operating system:

Trend Micro Maximum Security 2017 11.0

Once the download is finished, just run the file and then proceed with the installation. Take note that it will check for the latest version once the you have initiated the installation, if you can see a button to cancel that process, you may proceed with it or just temporarily disable your Internet Connection during the installation so it cannot check and automatically upgrade to the 2018 version. You may proceed with the activation afterwards once the program is installed by clicking the expiration date located below the round scan button on the console (this time, you may connect to the Internet now).

I hope this helps.

(Edited)
Photo of hiroshifujisawa

hiroshifujisawa

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

On my two old PCs (Asus P7P55D-E and GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3),  Internet Explorer v11 stopped working since TrendMicro Maximum Security installed.  I found that I can launch IE, if I disable "Protection against Viruses and Spyware". 

Is there a better solution?

(Edited)
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi hiroshifujisawa

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers.
Tell u s the OS that is on those machines and did you try the above suggestion's ?
All the best for 2018!

Kind regards,
Tom
(Edited)
Photo of hiroshifujisawa

hiroshifujisawa

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Tom,
Your method, turning off and then on Internet Explorer 11 from "Turn Windows features on or off<Program and Features<Program<Control Panel" fixed the problem on my both PCs (Windows 10 64bit).
Now IE works normal like before.
Thank you so much.
Hiroshi
(Edited)
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

Hi Hiroshi,

Nice to here that worked for you!

Kind regards,
Tom