Exclude Volume Shadow Copies - Internet Security 2019

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Internet Security 15.0.1204 (2019) scans volume shadow copies when they are accessed by a file-level backup software and blocks it.
There was no problem with version 12 (2018).

How can I exclude them?
Photo of Stephan

Stephan

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of TM_Mac

TM_Mac, Official Rep

• 1,310 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephan

Can I ask what software are you using for the back-up? And if you can send a screenshot of the actual detection by Trend Micro, that would be great as well. That will help us in checking your concern.  

For now, you can try to add the files under the exception list. You may refer to this one for that: Configuring the Exception List of Trend Micro Security software

Regards, 
Mac
Photo of Stephan

Stephan

Hi Mac
Backup Software: Acronis True Image 2019 Build 14110
The directory is already in exception list with the original name. As I know there is way to add shadow copy paths.

Detection:

Details:

Exception List:

Acronis Error:

Photo of TM_Mac

TM_Mac, Official Rep

• 1,310 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephan!

Thanks for the prompt response. Based on the screenshots, we notice that the detection was an Eicar File.

Eicar, or the European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research is an organization aiming to further antivirus research and improving development of antivirus software. They created a file named Eicar Test File for users to test the integrity and response of antivirus softwares using the same behavior and patterns of a real malware but without using an actual one that could do real damage. That's why Trend Micro was detecting it in the first place. 

So we would like to clarify if you are using this Eicar or it just happened to be part of the file. If not, you can go to the file location on the third screenshot that you sent and remove that specific file that's being detected. Then try to do the back up again. See if the issue still persists.

Also, are there any other pop-ups or detections from Trend Micro aside from this Eicar one? If so, please send us screenshots of it as well. 

Lastly, where are you trying to do the back up? Is it on your computer's local disk, or an external drive? 

Regards, 
Mac
Photo of Stephan

Stephan

Eicar was used to create these screenshots and it shows that the exclusion management is not working correctly. The software behaves the same with a real threat or everything else what trend micro thinks its unwanted. "unwanted" software is what I use it for.
The backup location does not matter.

Photo of TM_Joemar

TM_Joemar, Official Rep

• 1,350 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephan,

We do not suggest that you add that file to the exception list because it is detected as a threat / malware.

If you really want to add it to exception list, please locate the installation path folder and other folders that might be used by the program to read and write files.

Regards,
Joemar
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Official Rep

• 6,662 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephan

I just went through your description of the issue again and I had to say it's rather odd that the Exception List behaves this way. However, as of now, we can't say for sure what's causing it so if it's alright with you, we'll endorse this to one of our Senior Engineers so that we can further check. For the details, a member of our team will contact you via email.

^X