Automatic Definitions Check Prior to Any Scan

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Under Consideration
Too often, a scheduled scan starts with stale definitions. It would be a great enhancement if the first step of any scan, scheduled or manual, were to be a definition update check (and, if need be, installation).
Photo of niq

niq

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of TM_Reine

TM_Reine, Employee

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi niq,

Are you referring for the program to check program updates before running a scan? It's highly unlikely since both processes will consume too much resource on the computer. The program is already programmed to check updates every 3 hours that is for both Pattern Update and Program Update.

- Reine
Photo of claudiu_botezatu

claudiu_botezatu

• 2,898 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
"It's highly unlikely since both processes will consume too much resource on the computer"

Would not "consume too much resource" because is a sequential process; first update definitions and after do the scan.(also scan Quarantine based on new definitions)
This is implemented by some other anti-viruses
(Edited)
Photo of TM_Iya

TM_Iya, Employee

• 3,166 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi claudiu_botezatu,

Unfortunately, we don't have that feature where you can change or set the automatic update. The automatic update checking is fixed and triggered every 3 hours. Like after opening your computer, it will check for updates after 10mins then 3hrs interval. But we can try suggesting it to our developers for future versions but there is no guarantee.

~Iya
Photo of niq

niq

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your responses.  As a best practice, before I run a manual scan, I first check to make sure that the latest virus definitions are installed.  I am often at a PC when a scheduled scan completes its run.  Often, when finished, I will immediately check to be sure that the scan was run with the latest definitions and find that has not been the case.  If time permits, I will then re-run the scan after loading updated definitions.  I am not including program updates in this discussion.  I view these differently because these usually require a machine reboot.  I think such an automatic definition check as the first step of any scheduled or manual scan would be a good feature and would match competitive offerings (even though some may not exactly share the same product niche).  It would also afford more protection against zero-day calamities. It is worth considering.  As a licensee of Trend Micro products since 2005, I have seldom had to worry about resource-intensiveness.  
Photo of TM_Iya

TM_Iya, Employee

• 3,166 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi niq,

Thank you for letting us know what you really do and your other best practices. With regards to your re-run, let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your comments as well. We really appreciate that. 

~Iya

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.