August 2018: Is there an official fix for error message: PROTECTION DISABLED, RESTART NOW (Activated).

• Question
  • Updated 2 days ago
  • Answered
Restarting doesn't work. "Document" provided by TM doesn't work -- screens are different than mine. A community recommendation has a long process involving installing a tool kit, uninstall program, file remnant removal tool, and then reinstalling the program. Really?
Photo of beccakowalski

beccakowalski

• 70 Points
  • frustrated.

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of TM_Pat

TM_Pat, Official Rep

• 10,286 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi beccakowalski,

The process may be long but that is a guarantee. Reinstalling the program is the last resort when the other work around won't work.

You may follow the instructions from this article: Reinstalling the latest version of Trend Micro Security program

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Pat
Photo of JS

JS

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same issue.  I tried everything and resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but am now getting an "Installation Incomplete" error when I try to do this. 
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 25,562 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi JS

Follow this from a TM Empoyee:

1. Press the Windows + R on your keyboard. 
2. In the Run window, type in "supporttool" to open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
3. Go to the Uninstall tab and click the Uninstall Software. Take note of your Serial Number as it will not be saved during clean re-installation.
4. Wait for the uninstallation to finish. Do not Restart the computer yet until step number 5 is completed.
5. Download and run the Remnant Remover. Refer to the link below. 

Using the Trend Micro Remnant File Remover Tool

6. Reinstall the program. You may download the installer through the link below.

Installing Trend Micro Security

Here from you.

Kind regards,
Tom

Photo of JS

JS

Thank you for your response and help.

I tried to run the "supporttool" command from the Run window, but only got an error in return, "Windows cannot find 'supporttool'.

Do I need to download and install this tool from someplace first?

Thanks again for your help.
Photo of TM_Mac

TM_Mac, Official Rep

• 1,310 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi JS

Instead of just typing "supporttool", try typing "supporttool.exe". Also, make sure first that you have a Trend Micro installed for you to be able to open the Diagnostic Toolkit. 

You mentioned an error code as well, can you tell us what is the complete error code? 

Regards, 
Mac
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 25,522 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi JS

If the supporttool is not there, then go to 5 and go on from there!

Kind regards,
Tom

Photo of JS

JS

TM_Mac, I tried "supporttool.exe" but that doesn't work either.  I don't really have Trend Micro installed anymore, and that is part of the issue.  I had uninstalled it to try to see if reinstalling would fix the "Protection Disabled" issue and haven't been able to reinstall it ever since.

Tom Emmelot, I've tried running the Remnant Remover ("step 5"), and then running the install, but that fails as well.

Basically what happens is, I run the installer and the installer starts to System Check, but never completes it.  It throws up the following error instead:

TmSetACL.exe - Application Error

The instruction 0x775528cf referenced memory at 0x0cc511f9.  The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program.

If I click OK, the installer moves on the the Serial Number phase, and allows me to enter the serial number and complete both the Data Disclosure Notice and License Agreement phases.  Once it gets to the Installation phase it puts up the following message:

Checkup Needed

Some sort of problem stopped the installation of Trend Micro Maximum Security.

Click the Next button to launch a diagnostic program that can find out what went wrong.

Clicking the Next button pulls up the following message:

Installation Incomplete

A problem prevented the installer from completely setting up Trend Micro Maximum Security.  (error code: #1622, 0, 0x00000000)

No changes have been made to this computer.

Meanwhile a second smaller window with a progress bar opens:

System Information

Refreshing System Information..

If I let this window do its thing, eventually it will close, without any discernible result or effect.
(Edited)
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 25,522 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi JS

Ok try it Tom's way,
Uninstall TM
Look for "trend micro" and "trendmicro"on the system drive.
Delete all items.
Then download "Registrar Registry Manager Free" here:
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Run the program with admin rights and choose Home version.
Look for "trend micro"

Select all items and delete them!
Then a second time "trendmicro"
Select all items and delete them!
Reboot
Install TM again.

This i use if program's will not install.

Kind regards,
Tom

Photo of TM_Mac

TM_Mac, Official Rep

• 1,310 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi JS

Thank you for the error code. You might want to check this link out for that one: "Installation Incomplete... Error Code: #1622, 0, 0x00000000" error message appears when installing Trend Micro Security software

Regards, 
Mac
Photo of JS

JS

OK, sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you guys.  I finally got a chance to try your most recent suggestions and things are installed and working properly again.

Thank you so much for your help.
Photo of TM_Joemar

TM_Joemar, Official Rep

• 1,330 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi JS,

It's good to hear that everything is working fine. If you have any questions or needed any help, feel free to post it here.

Regards,
Joemar