Photo of edouris2

edouris2

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Amir

Amir

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hello ,

yes , if you have windows xp with Trend Micro 2016 , it can update .

but better try upgrade OS to new version .

Regards ,
Amir
Photo of dbotefuhr

dbotefuhr

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes. Thanks dawn
Photo of TM_Claudia

TM_Claudia, Employee

• 10,842 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Amir, thanks for your great help!

Hi edouris2, we will continue to support Trend Micro Security 2016 and provide malware definition pattern updates until the end of 2017. 

However, since Microsoft has formally announced the Windows XP end of support and the issues on Windows XP is no longer to fix by Microsoft, it has become increasingly difficult for Trend Micro to keep users safe on this operating system.

While our security products can be installed on Windows XP, we encourage all of our users to upgrade PCs to a more modern operating system which will provide greater stability and security. You can refer to this article for more information.

Hope it helps.

Trend Micro Home Users Community
Photo of ahsans

ahsans

• 2,544 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi edouris2, just for your own personal reason(s) as most of them do if they wish that they don't want to upgrade from XP OS to a more secure operating system such as Windows 10, because they can't afford it to or they comfortable using programs that works perfectly on windows xp and not in Windows 10. As for running a security program, yes some or most of the security programs stopped supporting Windows XP, but 1-2 years back I read that AVG Antivirus still support Windows XP operating system and they have no plans for discontinuing giving malware and program updates and upgrades to Windows XP users. If they have plans to discontinue they will let their customers know. I don't know about the current situation of when AVG plan is to discontinue, you might have to do research on it to find out.

As TM_Claudia mentioned TMS 2016 will provide malware definition patterns updates until end of 2017. If you have plans to upgrade to Windows 10 OS then go for it, if not I suggest you install AVG Free. Still using it on my desktop computer for many years. Again, the choice(s) are completely up to you.