100% Disk Usage

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Hi,

Since the latest update to Trend Maximum Security every time my backup software (EaseUS Todo Backup) runs my disk usage for the C drive goes up to 100% and the backup takes much longer than usual to complete. When I turn off Trend protection disk usage goes back to normal. I have tried adding the program to the Trend Max Security exception list but it is still happening. Everything was working fine until the last update. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks. 

Tech specs:  Trend version 15.0.1172, CPU - Core i7-8700k, 32 gb ram, C Drive-  512 gb ssd 

Photo of phil

phil

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 24,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi phil

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!

And the backup is that a USB connection?
And is USB on in "Folder Shield"
Here from you,

Kind regards,
Tom

Photo of phil

phil

Hi Tom,

The backup drive is another internal drive in this instance and folder shield is turned off. 

The whole set-up worked flawlessly for months until the recent Trend Maximum Security update. 

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 24,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi phil

I just tested and make a backup and did not anything  with TM
so my suggestion is do a fresh install with EaseUS Todo Backup!
The free version is working fine here.

Kind regards,
Tom

Photo of TM_Mac

TM_Mac, Official Rep

• 710 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Phil,

I'm sorry to hear that. 

Can I ask how long does the C Disk goes to a 100%? Does it only happen during a backup? Or even without the backup? 
Also, try to check the percentage of Trend when it's running alone. 

For now, you may refer to this Knowledge Base: Slow PC performance due to high CPU or memory usage of CoreServiceShell.exe

By the way, thank you Tom for the suggestion. Really appreciate it. 

Regards,

TM_Mac
Photo of phil

phil

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. 

TM_Mac - the 100% disk was only when the backup was running and Trend protection was turned on. 100% disk lasted the length of the backup - minutes for an incremental or hours for a full backup. If I stopped the backup OR turned Trend Maximum Security off the problem disappeared. 

It seems to be running OK again now. I turned folder shield back ON (because it's a feature I use) and added the backup software to the Trusted Programs List. I also changed the protection level from Switch automatically to "Normal". Amongst this I also received a program update from Trend. 

I'm not sure exactly what fixed it. I'll keep an eye on the situation and report back if I notice any further problems.

Thanks again.
(Edited)
Photo of TM_Mac

TM_Mac, Official Rep

• 710 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You're welcome Phil. And thank you as well for letting us know that. 

Just an additional information, the 100% CPU Disk Usage is actually pretty common especially when Trend is running together with other programs or processes due to the reason that they share the same resources. However, as you observed, if you turn off either one of them, the disk usage significantly changes. Also, the update may have helped since outdated components can also slow the computer down. 

Thanks again for the response Phil, and should you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post. 

Hope you have a good day. 

Regards, 

TM_Mac