[Latest Update] "Restart Required" and "Connect to the Internet" message appears on your Trend Micro Security software

• Article
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Update As of June 27:

We've now released an automatic update that resolves the error messages encountered by some users during update.

This update will restart the Trend Micro program and then restart your computer.

After restart, you can confirm that the update has been applied by:

Opening your Trend Micro program -> On the main console, click the Expiry date that will show the program version and click on Component version.

Look for the following Components and confirm the version:

Component                                                                                           Version

Contextual Intelligence Scan Controller (32-bit and 64-bit)                   1.0.1048

Endpoint Diagnostics Engine Wrapper (32-bit and 64-bit)                     7.0.1121

Threat Diagnostics Engine (32-bit and 64-bit)                                       7.0.1121

If the same issue persists kindly let us know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update As of June 19:

After the hotfix release, we will schedule another update by the end of June to permanently fix the issue of the corrupted database file that caused the error messages. 

The updates will be downloaded automatically and you can find an indicator when you hover on your 
Trend Micro icon from the lower right-hand side of the screen.

During this time, you might see a Windows notification that Virus Protection is turned off, 
but don't be alarmed as the status will change once the update is applied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the release of our latest updates, some issues have been reported – “Restart Required” and “Connect to the Internet” error messages – that our developers are working to resolve.

In the meantime, please run the following hotfixes in the links below: 
If still experiencing the same issue/s after following the instructions, let us know and we'll help you further.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Photo of TM_X

TM_X, Alum

• 9,406 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of bwemi

bwemi

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problem with software updates overseas.

I am running Trend Micro Internet Security on my Windows 10 PC. Recently when I was out of the country on a trip to Fiji, I was continually unable to update the program. In fact, it kept telling me I needed to connect to the Internet and download updates, but I was already connected. When I would tell the system to update, it would sit there and say it was downloading an update, but would eventually say that it was unsuccessful. In addition, it would throw up a notice every few minutes telling me I needed to update. This was extremely annoying. I travel overseas a lot and I cannot have this kind of problem leaving me vulnerable to malware, etc.
Photo of TM_Kaye

TM_Kaye

• 3,274 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I'm sorry to hear that you are still encountering this issue bwemi

You may consider doing a clean reinstallation of the Trend Micro Internet Security on your PC. You may follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows + R, then type in "supporttool". Choose yes when the UAC prompts. 
2. In the Diagnostic Toolkit window, go to the Uninstall tab. Click Uninstall Software. 
    Note: Do the Restart after you complete the steps until step 4. 
3. Download the Remnant File Remover through the link below. Right click on the downloaded file and run it as administrator.
    Remnant File Remover Tool
4. Download the Permission Tool through the link below and run it as administartor.
    Trend Micro Permission Tool  
5. Restart the computer. 

After that, you may already try installing the program. You may refer to the link below.
Installing Trend Micro Security

Let us know if you will encounter the same issue after doing the steps above.
(Edited)
Photo of wdandrl

wdandrl

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Acer Laptop running Windows 8.1 Trend Micro in system tray is grey, and saying Pl....

Acer Laptop running Windows 8.1 Trend Micro in system tray is grey, and saying Please restart the computer. Hae restarted numerous times, have also installed the hotfix. Still nothing. Action Centre states that Trend Micro is on, but is it?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.