Superstar

• 

181 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Sun, Jan 24, 2021 2:35 AM

Webcam and Microphone Protection, and Browser Credentials Harvesting Protection

Hello,

I have a privacy improvement suggestion.

Trend Micro products already have a "Privacy" tools category which includes Privacy Scanner, Social Networking Protection, PayGuard and Data Theft Prevention. Good additions to these tools would be webcam and microphone protection to prevent untrusted, or all apps from accessing these. Another good addition might be browser repository access management to stop RATs and infostealers from obtaining passwords, cookies, and history files in browsers.

Browser repositories are usually located in %AppData%\Local and apart from the browser executable/updater (which will always be signed by the same developer) no other programs have a reason to access these folders. For example %AppData%\Local\Google\Chrome should only be accessible by executables signed from Google, Inc. This will allow both the browser and the updater to work properly.

There is already an engine that manages access to files (Folder Shield), so this feature won't be too difficult to implement.

The above features can reduce privacy violations and data exfiltration on 0-day malware, that's still not covered by other existing technologies, and will also be effective when malware is abusing LOLBins.

Responses

Brand User
tm_kath

Superstar

• 

547 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

8 m ago

Thank you for sharing your ideas, bvasilev. We really appreciate it.

We'll collect all your ideas and have them submitted to our Research and Development team.

- TM_Kath

bvasilev

Superstar

• 

181 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

@katherine_turqueza Thanks. I am curious how many I'll see in the upcoming beta (which according to your release cycle should be around 4-5 months away). I know you are already testing a solution on some of the issues I discovered (the signed malware one), so it will be interesting to watch.

(edited)

Brand User
tm_kath

Superstar

• 

547 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

We do not have an overview about it yet, bvasilev.