phu09426's profile

8 Messages

• 

158 Points

Mon, Oct 14, 2019 9:34 AM

Trend Micro Scam Calls?

Today someone called Kevin saying he was from Trend Micro phoned me from  +1 419-518-2088. He said it was an emergency and I needed to fill out a form for a refund for my Trend Micro Maximum Security. I asked why I would need a refund. He did not answer and said it would only take 10-15 mins of my time. I told him I did not have time. He would not listen and I hung up. He phoned back 3 times. I answered one call and he repeated it was an emergency refund for me and told me to turn on my laptop and again said it would only take 10-15 mins. I again terminated the call. How did this person get my phone number from Trend Micro?

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Technical Support Scams posing as Trend Micro Support

Responses

Brand User

Hustler

• 

163 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

2 y ago

Hi phu09426,

This sounds like a scam, the number you had provided is not our official hotline. Trend Micro Support does not directly call customers unless it's scheduled (and not especially for refund or renewal). For more information please check our advisory regarding Tech Support Scam. 

[TM Advisory]Technical Support Scams posing as Trend Micro Support

- Reine

8 Messages

• 

158 Points

Thank you, Reine.
Brand User

Prodigy

• 

206 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi, phu09426.

To help safeguard our fellow community members if you encounter a similar experience, please report it to us immediately. Provide us with the following information below for our legal team to shut down these numbers. Any other information you can provide from the call will be greatly appreciated.

Name of the scammer:
Phone number used by the scammer:
The exact time of the scam call:
Type of call: Is it a human caller or an automated voice recording?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Kim

4 Messages

• 

150 Points

888 - 502-5102

stated trend was not owrking and wanted to give me a refund
Brand User
tm_kath

Superstar

• 

544 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

Hi preacher30673.

I have replied to you on a separate thread. Please refer on this link.

- Kath
Brand User

Prodigy

• 

206 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

2 y ago

Thank you for sharing your insights, Murph.

In case you need an assistance, let us know immediately.

- Kim

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

2 y ago

I received two(2) phone call today, telling me I could purchase the New Trend Micro for just under $200 . the phone numbers that called me are as follows 3107599385 and 8577635963. I hung up

the phone both times.

Joan Davidson

Jdavidson@si.rr.com

3 Messages

• 

32 Points

2 y ago

I had the same thing happen to me. Somehow they even had a previous TrendMicro Case number so I let them remote in. They had me go to logmein and the agent said TrendMicro but did not have the logo.

When it was obvious they were up to no good and would not explain what they were doing I disconnected my ethernet cable and hung up. Then called trendmicro support. They had me go to https://esupport.trendmicro.com/ and the remote support showed the trendmicro logo. That's when I really knew I had been scammed!

Only use https://esupport.trendmicro.com/ !!

On another note, if you use GotoAssist and have unattended support computers make turn on 2 step and check the list of devices that have access!

I believe this is where my problem started. Someone hacked my GotoAssist account and gained access to 2 of my computers.

4 Messages

• 

20 Points

2 y ago

Received several mobile phone calls from +1 210-888-0675 with caller (person) claiming to be from Trend Micro advising that TM was closing and that as I had had TM "service my computer" (!) I was to be paid a refund.

He wanted me to go to my computer to organise. I was not anyway near my computer so he wanted me to call back on this number when I was at my computer. His language was somewhat stilted as if English was not his first language or he was not quite clear about the facts.

I terminated the call but how did this person get my mobile phone number AND know that I had a Trend Micro account?

4 Messages

• 

20 Points

Call was from a human and at 10:34am standard Queensland time (no DST) on 1 Nov 2019

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

Hi kensparrow,

We're currently investigating how these scammers were able to obtain this information. In the meantime please make sure to not entertain any phone call that poses themselves as Trend Micro support.

You may check this article about Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Suspected Third Party Technical Support Scams.

- Reine

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

2 y ago

Thank you for providing information regarding your experience. We'll make sure to report these numbers and rest assured we are currently investigating this recent wave of technical support scammers. 

[TM Advisory]Technical Support Scams posing as Trend Micro Support

- Reine

2 Messages

• 

10 Points

2 y ago

Getting various phone calls from Trend Micro that they will charge my bank $299.00 and to press 1 if i need to change my subscrition. Got an email from Trend that this has been happening recently due to a breach with an employee who was giving information to a 3rd party. Monitoring my bank accounts and no suspicious charges.

Brand User
tm_pia

Prodigy

• 

268 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

8 Messages

• 

158 Points

2 y ago

As I suspected. A corrupt employee.

2 Messages

• 

10 Points

2 y ago

I have received requests for refund & phone today that I could not figure except something about service in April (I don't remember it) I said I would call them back, if they would give me a # he said 407-418-8187. I have not called & want to know if this is a Trend # ??

Brand User
tm_cha

Prodigy

• 

315 Messages

• 

4.5K Points

Hi, mhug41!

Our official communication on this matter can be found at: https://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-micro-discloses-insider-threat-impacting-some-of-its-consumer-customers/

Please check out the email I have sent you as well.

~Cha

2 Messages

• 

10 Points

2 y ago

A few weeks ago, I received a scam phone call and reposrted it. Thought it was over but no. On 15th November at 17.51 GMT, another phone call from 'Elena'. Tel no: 00017182134375.

I hung up as I know Trend do not make unsolicited calls. Elena knew my mobile number and th number of an old account.

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

Hi, jfairlie!

Our official communication on this matter can be found at: https://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-micro-discloses-insider-threat-impacting-some-of-its-consumer-customers/

I've also sent an email please check on your end.

- Reine

2 Messages

• 

10 Points

2 y ago

got a call from "Ilena". Number 731-335-6365. She had an Indian accent and stated her call was about Trend Micro and my computer running slowly. She wanted me to open up my laptop, but I told her I was not interested and I hung up and blocked her number.

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

Hi nadams,

Thanks for flagging us, it's good to know you had rejected the scammer's offer for a remote session. We would like to make it known to our customers that we don't directly call our customers unless it's prescheduled and known to both parties.

Should you have further concerns let us know.

- Reine

2 Messages

• 

12 Points

I thought this was over!! I was getting calls multiple times a day, everyday, from both robot "TrendMicro" and people claiming they were Trend Micro, I called and complained, and was told by Trend Micro I did something wrong, to allow all my information to be hacked. I was told I opened a "bad email", clicked on a "bad link" etc.. They took no responsibilty, telling me there "was no other complaints similar to mine". The calls became like stalking situation, everyday, at all hours and from different phone numbers, for months, all from "Trend Micro". It finally became public that am employee from Trend Micro had leaked our names, phone numbers and other information about its customers. The phone calls finally dwindled away slowly after months and months and stopped until today. Today I recieved another call, from 731-335-6365. I hope this nightmare isn't going to start again!! What is Trend Micro doing to support its customers that have their lives invaded with daily phone calls due to their employee?? Something needs to be done, this isn't fair, I'm sick of being phone stalked by scammers due to your rogue employee.

(edited)