Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 4:29 PM

Closed

Latest Firefox62.0 disables Trend Micro toolbar in browser as of Sept 5 2018

Just updated to latest Firefox version 62.0 and it disabled the Trend Micro toolbar. I expect you will be hearing from others about this breakage and incompatibility.  I am assuming this means my Trend Micro is not protecting me when I am web browsing... ? ? ?

8 Messages

• 

262 Points

4 years ago

Yes, I'm getting the same problem!

You would think that Trend would have known about this in advance and would have done something about it before Firefox 62 was rolled out!
tm_x

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

4 years ago

Hi, 

Have you tried enabling the toolbar again? If so, did you encounter any error? If not yet, please follow the instructions below to re-enable it: 

Enabling the Trend Micro Toolbar in Mozilla Firefox

Let us know how it goes. 

^X
snpmarq

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

Yes... when I tried to enable the TM Toolbar it complained and said that the TM add on, aka the Toolbar, was using the 'Legacy' code and that version 62 doesn't work with 'Legacy' addons - they then point to a developers page where they mention some kind of different API or whatever.   They also offer some 'replacement' addons - none of which are Trend Micro related and are of no use to TM users ;)
tm_x

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Hi snpmarq

Can you please send us a screenshot of that error? I'd like our team to look into this and screenshots and any other details you could provide will assist us. 

^X
snpmarq

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

If you are running the latest version of TM and then update to the vers 62 of Firefox, it comes up with a message telling you that they have disabled the TM Toolbar... with that comment regarding 'Legacy' versus the currently and only approved API interface.

Once Firefox nuked the TM Toolbar stuff it does not appear anywhere else ( ie no disabled page listing items that have been disabled ).

When you fire up the latest version of TM and go to the 'settings' option, you can enable and disable the 'Toolbar' option all you want, but it will not cause the Toolbar to activate - and nor does the Firefox give any subsequent apology or explanation for why the Toolbar is disabled.  Hence there is nothing to screen capture to show you.

One thing I did notice is that when Firefox 62 disabled the TM Toolbar, the overall speed and response to page request SLOWED DOWNED noticeably.  It almost felt like there might be some TM remnant conflicting slightly with the Firefox due to it being disabled - but somehow clinging on to the Firefox 62.  Not sure if that is an adequate explanation of how it feels...
tm_x

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Thank you so much for these details. I'll get back to you once I have an update. 
snpmarq

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

4 years ago

From what Firefox posted, in reference to this problem, it would appear that our Trend Micro Tool Bar was operating with 'Legacy' code ( their phrase )   Firefox then goes on to say that developers of kaput addons were suppose to have migrated to some API interface or something...

Hopefully TM staff check out this problem and get a fix for this problem... and it would be nice to know if this non-compatibility with Firefox 62 has left our browsers vulnerable while surfing the net
tm_x

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Our team is now looking into this, snpmarq. I'll keep you posted, don't worry. Also, even though the toolbar is temporary missing, you are still protected from online threats, it's just that there will be no website ratings for the meantime. 

8 Messages

• 

262 Points

4 years ago

Good to know you're on it! I can only assume that this has taken Trend by surprise that the Toolbar is suddenly incompatible with Firefox, which is a bit strange!
tm_x

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Hi dave-h,

Yes, we're on it and it will speed us up if you could provide us screenshots or any details of the error that you've encountered if any. 

8 Messages

• 

262 Points

How do I add a screenshot? I can't see any option to do so.
tm_x

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Just click on Write a Comment field and you should see this: 

8 Messages

• 

262 Points

Thanks! I was actually trying to do it on my old XP computer using Firefox 52 ESR, and it wasn't showing that at all for some reason!
I'm now looking on Firefox 62 on Windows 10 and it's fine.
@ahsans has already posted pretty much the same, but here's my two anyway.

ahsans

Prodigy

• 

256 Messages

• 

5.6K Points

4 years ago

I got it too. Here is the screenshot

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

Superstar

• 

245 Messages

• 

9.7K Points

4 years ago

-I'm not a Trend Micro representative-

Hello All,

it seems to be an issue code with last Firefox release. 
Mozilla will fix it soon, I think. 
There are a lot of add-ons that are not working properly updating the browser to 62.

Check if you are using at least release 62.0b7

For the moment I think 32bit version of the browser may temporarily solve, cause usually this kind of issue are 64bit version related.  Is it possible to use? I do not use FF.

Again, let me to suggest to use another browser or revert back to previous Firefox version waiting fixing the issue. 

8 Messages

• 

262 Points

4 years ago

I have a nasty feeling this is an intentional change by Mozilla, which has prevented some legacy add-ons from working as they probably use APIs which have now been removed for security reasons.
They will expect the add-on authors to fix that, and they won't!
I'm seeing the problem on the release version of 62.0 32 bit on Windows 8.1 32 bit, so it's not a 64 bit issue.

Superstar

• 

245 Messages

• 

9.7K Points

OK thanks. 

1 Message

• 

110 Points

I am afraid it is a 64 bit issue as well

Superstar

• 

245 Messages

• 

9.7K Points

4 years ago

-I'm not a Trend Micro representative-

OK guys, 
who want to take a look on what happens using 63 beta? 
Dave? XD

Superstar

• 

245 Messages

• 

9.7K Points

4 years ago

snpmarq

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

4 years ago

Agreed... this describes EXACTLY what happened and why TM was impacted by this on Firefox 62...   definitely required reading for the TM staff assigned to looking in to this glitch...

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/02/22/removing-support-unpacked-extensions/

8 Messages

• 

262 Points

4 years ago

As I thought, something that the developers at Trend should have been well aware of so they could address it before Firefox 62 was rolled out!

Neophyte

• 

9 Messages

• 

306 Points

4 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Firefox 62 incompatibility.

Hello, Firefox just updated to the version 62 and it has aytomatically disabled TM plugin for incompatibility issues. Is there something to do or to install to fix this problem?
Tks

5 Messages

• 

314 Points

4 years ago

Firefox 62 has disabled the extension because it does not follow the standards put out during Firefox 57 and later. You cannot re-enable the extension because it is literally unable to hook into Firefox. I am running Windows 10 Build 17744.1003 and I can confirm that there is no user-end remedy for this.

Trend Micro simply has to decompile and recompile the extension so that it is compliant.
More on this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

It says the extension is unsigned. Which is plausible, because it is installed as a sideload when you install TMTS. Trend Micro simply needs to make the extension available the same way they did for Chrome users who got the same message two years ago.

2 Messages

• 

142 Points

4 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Firefox Toolbar not working with the latest version of Firefox.

For your information & Immediate Action

3 Messages

• 

182 Points

4 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled updated firefox (Quantum 62.0 64-bit) today and it disabled my trend micro toolb....

On windows 10

Need Help?

Ask the Community