Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

Sun, Jan 23, 2022 1:59 AM

Folder Shield won't stop turning OFF!

I came here to see why the folder shield function keeps telling me to set it up again and I don't even know when or if I even turned it on or what folders it is "shielding." I am so overwhelmed right now because I got a new PC with a new operating system and I can't figure out anything and now this! What is Folder Shield and why is it turning off? I installed Trend on this PC when I got it 4 or 5 months ago and it has been doing it for the past 2 months.

bvasilev

Superstar

• 

185 Messages

• 

7.4K Points

4分前

Folder Shield is a special protection that guards your system in case standard antivirus misses a ransomware. It is an extension to behavioural monitoring, a feature that constantly supervises programs to detect malicios software early, before it is known to the developer (0-day threat). E.g. if a program was downloaded from the web, doesn't have a visible window, doesn't have a digital signature, relatively small file and not widely seen, attempts to copy itself to a removable drive -> program is a worm.

Ransomware is a type of malware that puts your files in unusable state and then demands a ransom to roll back the changes. Without paying, data is just unreadable. 

When a folder is "shielded", Trend Micro displays a warning when suspicious files try to modify the data in it. In addition, Trend Micro creates a copy of personal files in it (pictures, music, documents, etc.) before modification. 

Once a program has been deemed malicious, all changes to your files will be rolled back and you will be able to use them again.

To summarise, Folder Shield guards against ransomware and provides additional remediation options, in case everything else has failed.

Please note that this is not a replacement of full data backup.

If Folder Shield doesn't work properly, then you'll need to reinstall the product.

I would recommend following the steps bellow to remove the product and then reinstalling it again, by logging in to your account and downloading your installer from there.

https://helpcenter.trendmicro.com/en-us/article/tmka-18727

(edited)

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

4分前

Thank you, I will try that now. If it doesn't work, I will let you know!

Brand User
tm_angelo

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

4分前

Hi klaelmorris,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community.

Thank you for the suggestion bvasilev, before reinstalling the software you could also try to restart the components first and check if the issue is still there.

Try to follow these steps to restart the Trend Micro components:

1. On your keyboard, press and hold together the Windows key + R key.

2. In the open field, type supporttool and hit Enter or click OK. This will open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.

3. Go to C(Uninstall) tab.

4. Click number 5, after a minute click number 2.

5. Wait for another minute, and click number 4.

6. Check if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

-TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

@tm_angelo​  Unfortunately, I didn't see your message before I did the uninstall/reinstall. But I went ahead and tried your suggestion and it didn't help at all either. I guess my only option is to actually get Trend on the phone now and let them fix this. It's getting way too frustrating.

Thank you all for your help though. Glad to know there are people here to help out!

Legend

• 

644 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

Thank you for your response, klaelmorris

You see the pop up on your computer when a previously protected folder was deleted or moved to another location. You may follow the steps provided on the link below to resolve it:  Fix "Please Set Up Folder Shield Again" error
You may check this link to more about Folder Shield: 
Hope this helps.
- TM_Rochelle

Need Help?

Ask the Community