Hotshot

Hotshot

• 

34 Messages

• 

950 Points

Sat, Oct 17, 2020 7:12 PM

Folder Shield Issue

Using Trend Micro Maximum Security, had been using Internet Security for many years but upgraded to maximum since the price was the same for more systems. I turn off Folder Shield but it keeps turning itself back on. Also I never had to use a password in the past to temporarily disable real time protecyion, but I do now even if I select not to use a password. This is a little annoying but not a real big deal. The Folder Shield SHOULD not be re-enabling itself if I turn it off.

Brand User
tm_kath

Superstar

• 

564 Messages

• 

7.7K Points

1 y ago

Hi David Vair,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community!

Folder shield re-enabling itself is not the usual behavior of the program. Requiring a password to disable the real-time protection of the program is an enhancement of the latest version. This is to make sure that no unauthorized person can turn off your computer protection.

To further check on the Folder Shield issue, can you provide the following information:

Trend Micro component version:

Device:

Device Operating System:

Awaiting your response.

- TM_Kath

davevt31

Hotshot

• 

34 Messages

• 

950 Points

@katherine_turqueza 

Trend Micro Maximum Security 17.0.1150

Windows 10 Pro PC version 2004 build 19051.572

It seem to be happening after I disable real time protection and then reenable the real time protection. The Folder Shield will be turned back on when I reenable Real Time Protection.

Brand User
tm_kim

Superstar

• 

484 Messages

• 

6.2K Points

Hi, davevt31.

Can you try to follow the steps below and check if the issue still persists?

1. Open Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.

2. Click the C. Uninstall tab.

3. Click 5. Stop all components.

4. Then click 2. Delete Now and 3. Delete Now.

5. Once completed, click 4. Start all components.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

- TM_Kim

davevt31

Hotshot

• 

34 Messages

• 

950 Points

Followed all steps, Folder Shield turned off. Disabled real time protection and the enabled Real Time Protection, Folder Shield turned ON.

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

1 y ago

Hi David Vair,

We'll check this and replicate the issue on our end, please give us some time and we'll let you know within 24 hours how we will proceed with the case.

Thanks! All the best.

- TM_Reine

davevt31

Hotshot

• 

34 Messages

• 

950 Points

Not a real big deal, as I only disable/reenable the real time protection once a week to do my system backups.

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

1 y ago

Hi David Vair,

Can you try to check if it's the same on your end? if it is, can you enumerate how did you replicate the scenario? 

Thank you.

- TM_Reine

davevt31

Hotshot

• 

34 Messages

• 

950 Points

Not sure what you are asking, I have explained what's happening in earlier posts.

I manually turn off Folder Shield in the Main Console settings. It stays off without any issues. When I do my system backups, I disable Real Time Protection while my system makes an image of the drive. When I reenable Real Time Protection, Folder Shield turns itself back on.

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

1 y ago

Thank you for reconfirming David Vair.

The issue has already been reported and currently under investigation. We'll update you on this thread when it's fixed. 

- TM_Reine

davevt31

Hotshot

• 

34 Messages

• 

950 Points

1 y ago

Some more info:

After disabling real time protection, if I reenable manually Folder Shield is turned back on by itself. If I restart the computer and let the real time protection start on its own, Folder Shield is NOT turned back on.

Brand User
tm_cathy

Superstar

• 

483 Messages

• 

7.4K Points

Thank you for the additional information, David Vair.

I'll pass this on to our developers so they can check and evaluate.

Thank you,

TM_Cathy

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

1 y ago

Hi davevt31!

Our R&D created a hotfix for this issue, can you try the provided steps below on your end?

Download the hotfix:

1. Go to this page.
2. Right-click and select DOWNLOAD to retrieve the hotfix Ti_1700_win_en_FolderShield_hfb0002

Installing the hotfix:

1. Quit Trend Micro Program from the system tray or stop all components from the diagnostic toolkit. 

Guide how to stop components: How to turn ON or OFF Trend Micro Security for Windows

2. Run and Install the Ti_1700_win_en_FolderShield_hfb0002 hotfix 
3. Restart the computer 
4. Check if the issue is fixed.

Let us know of its results here or on the email I sent. All the best!

- TM_Reine

davevt31

Hotshot

• 

34 Messages

• 

950 Points

Hotfix seems to work, Folder Shield remains off.

Brand User
tm_kath

Superstar

• 

564 Messages

• 

7.7K Points

Hi David Vair,

Thank you for letting us know it worked.

Just let us know if you need more help.

- TM_Kath

Need Help?

Ask the Community