• 

25 Messages

• 

610 Points

Tue, Jun 28, 2022 7:16 PM

Closed

Resolved

Safari hangs when Webguard is on iOS

So this has been going for for a while. At least a year spanning many versions of software. Using an iPhone XS - latest version of iOS (15.5) and trend micro mobile security 9.8.1062 - with webguard turned on, safari will hang on a search.  Meaning you enter the search criteria in safari and the progress bar appears to start to search and then nothing. It stops. Won’t return anything. Safari doesn’t come back from this. It usually does NOT occur on the first search but second and later searches. Clearing safari cache doesn’t seem to help. Turing off webguard does get it working again. It works perfectly until you turn on webguard again. Clearly webguard does not play well with safari on iOS. Are you aware of this? It’s really quite annoying …

Legend

• 

753 Messages

• 

13.4K Points

5 months ago

Apologies for the inconveniences this has caused you. This is not the usual behavior of the program, jadigeorgio

May I know if aside from Trend Micro, do you have any antivirus program or VPN installed on your device? Have you also tried to re-install the app to check if the issue still persist? Here's how: 

How to install Trend Micro iOS Security

Let us know how it goes.

- TM_Rochelle

Hotshot

• 

25 Messages

• 

610 Points

5 months ago

Hello - I did just update the app when an app update required me to move a license from a different device (for some reason). I can delete it completely and do a complete fresh install to see if that does anything.

I do also have McAfee Security by T-Mobile installed. It’s offered by my cell carrier and it seems to me it was promoted after a recent data breach at the carrier. I don’t know that it’s an antivirus per se but does offer some features the Trend Micro product doesn’t have. That’s why I installed it. It does also offer a feature called Safe Web. 

I presume “Safe Web” could be butting heads with trend micro while using safari - so I’ll try removing it as well and testing. 

Legend

• 

753 Messages

• 

13.4K Points

Thank you for your response, jadigeorgio

Yes, having two antivirus programs is not advisable. Having one or more antivirus programs installed at the same time can cause performance issues and make your device more exposed to threats. Try removing the McAfee and check if the issue still persists. 

Let us know how it goes.

- TM_Rochelle

Hotshot

• 

25 Messages

• 

610 Points

So far so good. I removed the McAfee from T-Mobile and I’m not seeing the issue recur so far.  This does make sense. I didn’t realize until now that the McAfee from T-Mobile product had a web safety component to it as well that interacted with Safari. Thanks 

Brand User
tm_kim

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Thanks for sending us an update, jadigeorgio.

It's good to know that everything's working fine right now. In case you need further assistance, please let us know. We'll be happy to assist you!

- TM_Kim

Hotshot

• 

25 Messages

• 

610 Points

The issue is back. Safari hanging once again?!?

Hotshot

• 

25 Messages

• 

610 Points

The issue has returned and I have not changed anything - safari hangs on search when Web Guard is on. Doesn’t hang when it’s off? Thoughts? 

Need Help?

Ask the Community