Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Sat, Aug 22, 2020 2:23 PM

Closed

If I close Trend with the red circle in the upper left of the window, reopening it completely freezes the application on the splash screen

I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro 2019 model with an Intel i5 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and roughly 81 GB of free storage. I have Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac. To recreate the issue of Trend freezing after reopening it, here's how to recreate it:

1) On Mac startup, Trend Micro Antivirus launches. It appears in the system tray in the upper right next to the time/date/battery/etc and it appears in the dock.

2) Open Trend Micro Antivirus from the dock (where it appeared on startup) or the system tray icon.

3) It opens up saying you're protected and it's on the overview section of the application.

4) Click the red circle in the upper left of the application window to close Trend Micro Antivirus.

5) It closes and disappears from the dock.

6) Go to the system tray to see the Trend Micro Antivirus icon with the green check mark stating it's actively protecting you.

7) Click on the icon in the system tray to get the drop down.

8) Select "Update Now...", "Scan Now...", "Open Trend Micro Antivirus...", or any other option that opens the application window.

9) The application icon reappears in the dock and the application splash screen (big red square that shows the application name and copyright info) comes up.

10) At this point, the application window will not open and the splash screen doesn't go away. Attempting to close or interact with the application results in the cursor becoming a spinning rainbow wheel.

11) To get around this, I use the Siri shortcut on my touch bar to open Activity Monitor and I use that to Force Quit the Trend Micro Antivirus application. Then I restart my Mac.

This started immediately after receiving the following updates:

• Core Controller (Old Version: 3.0.1064) (New Version: 3.0.1107)

• Client (Old Version: 10.0.1686) (New Version: 10.0.1803)

• Trend Micro Toolbar (Old Version: 10.0.1741) (New Version: 10.0.1803)

• Smart Scan Agent Pattern (Old Version: 16.167.95) (New Version: 16.169.95)

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a known issue with the new version of the application? Are there any solutions or do I just wait for a new version with a bug fix?

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

2 years ago

Hi eroush25,

Thanks for describing the issue in detail. Furthermore, can you please check the exact version of the Trend Micro program? here's how to verify: How to check if you have the latest version (Antivirus for Mac)

Please check as well your Mac OS version - Find out which macOS your Mac is using

We'll be waiting for your response. Thanks!

- Reine

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Hi Reine,

The version of Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac is 10.0.1803 and it says next to the version number that it's the latest version. My version of MacOS is 10.15.6.

Thank you!

Brand User
tm_kim

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Hi, eroush25.

Thank you for sending the information needed.

Restart the components of Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac by following the instructions below and check if the issue still persists:

How to turn ON or OFF Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac

If the issue still persists, please reinstall the program using the installer (Antivirus for Mac 2020) on the link below:

How to install Antivirus for Mac

Let us know how it goes.

- Kim

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Hi Kim,

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac and eveything seems to be working properly now!

Thank you!

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

2 years ago

Hi eroush25,

Thank you for letting us know that everything is all good on your end. If you need further assistance feel free to contact us on our support channels - https://spr.ly/60091hqTP

Cheers!

- Reine

Need Help?

Ask the Community