V
Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

Tue, Nov 16, 2021 9:33 PM

If I use my laptop for personal use should my WI-FI be set to Private or Public?

If I use my laptop for personal use should my WI-FI be set to Private or Public?

Brand User
tm_darryl

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

370 Points

11 d ago

Hi vickievalice,

If your laptop is connected to a WiFi network that you trust such as your home or work network, you may set the Network Profile to Private. If you're connected to public WiFi networks, it is recommended to set it to Public. You may check the guide by Microsoft through the link below:

Make a Wi-Fi network Public or Private in Windows

Hope this helps.

-TM_Darryl

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

@tm_darryl 

Thank you Darryl for your response but I am still confused. I would think that Private means nobody can access my laptop. Public means that my laptop would be accessible to anyone who wants to access my access codes, etc. Am I right? Or, does it mean the opposite?

Brand User
tm_darryl

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

370 Points

Hi ,

Apologies for the confusion, it's actually the opposite. The Public network profile is for when your device is connected to a public network which means the security is a lot stricter. Meanwhile, the Private network profile is for when your device is connected to a safe and trusted network which means the security will be a little bit on the lenient side.

I hope that clarifies it.

-TM_Darryl

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

Ok, so I think I get it now. My laptop is better off using Public instead of Private. I only use my laptop at home for personal use.

It is very confusing.

tom_emmelot

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

31.2K Points

@vickievalice 

Sorry, I need to know some things:

The Wi-Fi where you log in to is that your own Wi-Fi, and how is that set?

As a home network, or as axe's point? Require you a password to log in?

How many uses that Home Network?

If it is your own Wi-Fi and set for own use with a password, then set your laptop to "Private"

But tell me more about the Wi-Fi you are using.

Kind regards,

Tom

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

@tom_emmelot 

It is my own Wi-Fi that I have with Comcast Xfinity. There is a password needed to access it. I am the only user.

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

11 d ago

Thank you Darryl for your response but I am still confused. I would think that Private means nobody can access my laptop. Public means that my laptop would be accessible to anyone who wants to access my access codes, etc. Am I right? Or, does it mean the opposite?

tom_emmelot

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

31.2K Points

@vickievalice 

Hi -TM_Darryl gives you the right info. Private network means a network in your house and that is not open for public. If your home network is set as public, ( no password required ) then you must set your Windows to public so the defense must be higher and not advisable !!!

Hope you understand it better now?

Kind regards,

Tom

Brand User
tm_karr

Prodigy

• 

192 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

Thank you for your assistance @tom_emmelot
We wish you good luck and good health! Have a nice day!

Need Help?

Ask the Community