Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Wed, Oct 6, 2021 7:44 PM

"Website Blocked" Pop Up Keeps Appearing for Every Page

A Trend Micro pop up appears every time I open a new web page. It says "Website Blocked - Threat Type Scam" and identifies a URL that I am not attempting to open - I don't even know what the site is. The pop ups even appear when I go to the Trend Micro site. It happens with both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. This has been going on for a day and is quite annoying. I tried clearing my browser history and cookies. I ran a TM scan which said "no threats found." Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this? As I said, the threat site supposedly being blocked is NOT a site I am trying to visit. I am wondering if this is some type of virus. Can anyone help?

I am using Trend Micro Internet Security 2021 and Windows 10. I'm attaching a screenshot. Thanks for any help!

Brand User
tm_angelo

Prodigy

• 

278 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

13 d ago

Hi kjmurphy,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community!

You may clear your browser cache to disable the Pop-up. You may refer on the link below on how to clear your browser cache:

How to clear web browser cache

It would also be a good practice to get rid of suspicious browser extensions to keep your browser safe.

If the issue persists after clearing your browser cache, you may try to reset your browser.

I hope this helps.

- TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

@angelo_audrey_dizon

I've tried everything you suggested, including resetting the browser, but the pop up still appears. It's almost as if there's a virus that tries to redirect me to the blocked site every time I open a new web page, but TM blocks it. This happens on both Chrome and Edge, and I tried re-setting both. 

Brand User
tm_cha

Prodigy

• 

332 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Please try to check the extensions installed on your browser as well. If you are not familiar with it, it's best to remove them. If that didn't work, you may download the hotfix here. Close all the open browsers first before running the hotfix.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~TM_Cha

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

The only extensions appear to be Google Drive-related (Docs, Sheets, Slides) which I use. The pop-ups also appear when using Microsoft Edge, which has no extensions. The pop up now sometimes still says "Scam" for Threat Type but sometimes says "Disease Vector." I will look into the hotfix you sent and report back. Thank you.

Prodigy

• 

369 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Thank you for the update, kjmurphy. Let us know if the issue still persist after running the hotfix. Thanks!

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

@rochellemae_bautista

I ran the hotfix yesterday. Pop ups are still appearing.  The site being blocked is https: // new229.com / api / gcad 

(edited)

Brand User
tm_angelo

Prodigy

• 

278 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

7 d ago

Hi kjmurphy,

Thanks for the reply, we would need to check if there's any browser assistance installed in your device to do that, you may follow the instructions below.

1.Check both of the following locations and uninstall:

- Control Panel:  Run window > enter appwiz.cpl

- Apps and Features: Windows Menu > Settings > Apps > Apps features

2. After uninstalling, check for possible remnants under these locations

- C:\Program Files

- C:\Program Files (x86)

- C:\ProgramData 

- %AppData%

3. Clean Temporary Files

- Run window > %Temp%

- Run window > Temp

After that, kindly run the hotfix again then restart the computer and monitor the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

-TM_Angelo

Need Help?

Ask the Community